Sunday, September 5, 2021

So many buffalo...

 


 

We got out on the scoots early afternoon; making up an agenda as we rolled.  After some fun curvy roads, we headed south towards Custer State Park.




Into Custer State Park, and our first view of buffalo...



They were everywhere - both sides of the road and on the road...




We found ourselves in the middle of a "buffalo jam": traffic was backed up as far ahead as we could see, and no one was moving.  Understandable when these things are on the road, but one car not going around holds up everyone behind them.  We decided to turn the scoots around and head back the way we came.




To give you an idea of how close they were - that line in the photo above is my windshield, and I'm using a wide angle lens.  This was as close as I wanted to be to a Momma bison with her calf right behind her.  When they stepped off the road, I went behind them and heard Momma snort, thinking I was too close to her baby.  I didn't dawdle.

Once on the other side of the buffalo again, we had good riding...


We took a back road to get us over to Needles Highway, planning to head north on that road and make our way home...


That image above is looking towards the southwest, away from all the pretty scenery along Needles Highway.  The traffic was steady, but we only got slowed down at Needles Eye Tunnel - we were back about 10 vehicles and it was apparent that the one at the front of that line was not going to move until every vehicle in Custer State Park had left.  Finally, we got our turn...


After clearing that tunnel, the riding got decent again...



We took Hwy 244 that goes behind Mt Rushmore to stay out of the slow moving traffic...



Good to see George and the boys again.  Twisty roads all the way back.  I can't speak for Joan, but my ass was tired by the time we got back to Hart Ranch.

Another good day of riding as our time here gets short.

What about the video?  Thanks for asking - no video today, another "old school" outing, using just my DSLR.  I have come to really enjoy the video, but it takes a lot of time to download and edit.  No issue blasting through all the still photos I took today.

I wore my old helmet (the Nolan) and we had no issues with the communicators working just fine.  The one I took out of the Schuberth helmet is boxed up and will get sent back on Tuesday.  We are in a "no fussing zone."  ;-)



2 comments:

Bob said...

Cap - I hit the wrong button and took out a bunch of my favorites on the menu bar including yours!!! Old age setting in and worse than that. As I read about your dislike for lines and waiting, I thought "That used to be me in spades!" but now I look forward to the slowed down pace of a line or que, I want to visit with the other folks, read my grocery store coupons to be sure there are none expired, note all the states represented by the license plates at the Costco gas station in Henderson, and have the pace of things run at the same speed as my faculties! Since you and I joined the "Invisible Age Bracket" the only way we get noticed is to make a fuss or throw hundred dollar bills at the sweet young things. Fussing raised my blood pressure and hundred dollar bills are not enough to get the young girls to pay attention (not really interested in young girls other than to appreciated the wonder of Creation) so I just work on chilling out. Same thing for buying things, the stress of the purchase experience and then the hassle of learning new toys, storing them, and working up the energy to use them enough to justify the cash out of bank is almost not worth the total effort. I am back to my youth where the Monkey Ward's Catalog was a wish book but there was no actual expectation of the getting, it was the looking that was the joy. For me, I do not have to be old to be different but being too different tends to make me act and appear old. Or something wise sounding, deep and insightful like that. Going to go out and work on the "two soup cans and a string" communication device like I saw on "Leave It To Beaver",, it may need some new string! See ya and ride safe, Momma Buffalos are SCOOT eating beasts! Bob Jarrard in Nevada

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bob - you wouldn't be the first to eliminate this site from their favorites. ;-) As far as getting old... I am in the got category, not the getting. I still like my tech stuff, though; and I don't like it when things don't work as they are supposed to. My issue goes beyond patience - if it takes too long for something to set up like it is supposed to, Joan is likely to take off without me. Nothing about waiting in a line holds any appeal to me, whether in traffic, at the gas station, or in a store. Minutes ticking away.