Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Getting there...

 

Making progress on the whole moving back in situation.  The deck (overlooking the dock) is set up; if it ever cools down, we'll get to spend some time out there.  It was 82º when I got up this morning; 88º as I'm writing this, but "feels like" 100º thanks to a warm, humid SSE wind (currently blowing 21mph).  I got a bicycle ride in before the wind came up.

Rufus has re-discovered the comfort of his "big chair."  He still comes around for lap time, though.

My music room is coming back together...

 

A selection of guitars have come out of their undisclosed storage location to get back on the wall.  One I haven't spent time with in a while is the second from the left in that image above - it's my Taylor 814ce with a tobacco burst finish.  It is a lovely instrument; I am particularly fond of the curly maple used on the binding - it almost looks 3D.  Yes, it sounds as good as it looks (needs a fresh set of strings)... but my ear is really tuned into the Emerald X20 that spent the summer with us in the motorhome.  That's a couple other Emeralds flanking the Taylor on either side; the X20 isn't in this photo.  The X20 is close in size to the 814, but feels smaller because of the curves and bevels in the design.  It is a delight to have some playing options again.

--------

During a break in other activities, I got strings changed on the 814 and the X20...

Both of them sound better.  The strings on the 814 had little wear, but were "aged out"; the strings on the X20 were Martin Lifespans (not my usual brand, but people were talking about them, so I thought I'd give 'em a try), and my favorite Elixir Nanowebs definitely sound better on this guitar.


No comments: