Friday, September 17, 2021

Holding my breath...

 

Until I get my way?  No, I've tried that; it doesn't work.  First time moving the motorhome at highway speed - I was more than a bit concerned about how the repairs/patches on top of the coach would hold up.  Short version: no problem.

It was a cold start to the day: 45º.  We had done most of the work to get us ready to roll yesterday, so it was just a matter of undoing utilities, hooking the Honda to the cargo trailer, pulling to the RV parking by the Lodge, then hooking the Honda and trailer to the motorhome... check lights (all good), and we are ready to roll.


 Joan walked through the coach as I brought it up to highway speed - nothing flying off.  Well, that's a good sign.  I pointed us south and we tentatively settled in.  Saying good-bye to the Black Hills...


Rufus took on the roll of travel-cat, spending time on Joan's lap, his tower, the dinette seat, and the floor...

Out of South Dakota and into Nebraska...


The wind was forecast to be northwest at 15.  Nope.  It was 15, but out of the south southeast, putting it pretty much on the nose, occasionally a quartering headwind.  I kept our speed to around 60mph, out of concern for all that FlexTape and Gorilla Tape on our skylites lifting up.  It held.  We planned today to be a relatively short day (about 6 hours on the road) to give us all a chance to get accustomed to travel mode.

We stopped for lunch at the Walmart in Chadron, Nebraska; nice big parking lot, and Joan wanted to pick up a few things.  It's where I shot that first photo in this post.  The slope of the parking lot allowed me to take a look at the stuff on the roof; from a distance.

I have to honest that I won't relax about those "patches" until we have the coach home and in the storage unit.  But, for now, I'm breathing easier.  We pulled into a familiar RV park around 4:00.  Good thing we made reservations, as the RVs are coming in.  The lady at the front desk told me they were completely full last night, almost there for tonight.


No reservations for tomorrow night - we plan to go as far as we can and stay flexible.  In the words of the philosophers Simon and Garfunkle: Homeward Bound.

-------

The boys are back in town...

If you said, "Thin Lizzy, 1976," you get 40 bonus points.

After I had a chance to cool my heels for a bit, Rufus wanted to go for a walk.  He has been a bit tentative in his walking at Hart Ranch, after the two big dogs went for him.  Apparently, the chance of location made him feel more comfortable - he walked all over the RV park we are in for the night.  Now, to be fair, this park is way smaller than Hart Ranch, so "walking all over" is less than it would be at Hart Ranch.  But, he got to smell a bunch of different grass and trees, and walked in the gravel like a champ.  I had to steer him back towards the coach, since I knew Joan would have supper ready.

And speaking of supper, I am generally not big on posting photos of my food, but Joan made us a delicious supper, since we were off the road relatively early...


Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken stuffed with apple and cheese.  This was "photo worthy," and especially tasty.

No, I didn't get a photo of Rufus out walking - I left my phone in the coach.  But, he was walking tall and proud.  And, yes, he did see a couple dogs while we were out, but I kept him steered away.  In case I didn't mention it: he's a good boy!

:-)


No comments: