Friday, September 10, 2021

Some observations...

 

I think I'm generally a "glass half full" kinda guy.  Some days, I feel fortunate to just have a glass.

Since the Covid situation (and no, this will not be pro mask/anti mask or pro/anti vaccination discussion), the world is a different place.  I don't remember shelves frequently being empty before.  In our "land of plenty," we have always had abundant choice in the products we choose.  In the past.  Joan is the shopper in this relationship, but I sometimes go along to push the cart and offer unsolicited opinions.  It doesn't matter what grocery store we go into, there are always some empty (or at least sparse) shelves.  Doesn't seem right.

This morning, we went to PetSmart to get some more "tummy gentle" food for Rufus.  Yes, he's doing fine, thanks for asking; just want things to go easy for my big boy.  Food we bought two days ago is now an empty shelf.  Oh, they had the larger size cans of the same thing, so that will work, but the smaller cans work better with his eating schedule.

Every place we go has "Now Hiring" signs out.  Some people say that they are no jobs since Covid decimated some industries, but I have never seen so may "Now Hiring" signs.  We tend to stay out of most restaurants these days, but we still do drive-up.  Service at all these places is slower than it used to be... may be because they are short-staffed or staff is under-trained.  We had a good breakfast at Wendy's (well, from Wendy's, but in the car), but had to drive to a second location after waiting for 20 minutes in the drive-up, and no one was taking orders.  We were 4th in line, and the people ahead of us were getting angry.  I get that, but better to move on than scream at the guy in front of you, who is also waiting to get an order taken.

We are seeing fast food places that had their inside seating available a few weeks ago are now drive-up only.  One place had a sign out that stated they will be closed on Sundays because they don't have enough staff to man the place.  The service at Jimmy John's is not "freaky fast," because the person taking the orders is also the person making the sandwich, and also the person delivering the order.  The quality of the help seems to have diminished at some of these places... I used to expect "service with a smile," but that is the exception these days.

While eating breakfast in the car this morning, our view was of a closed Shopko.  Yes, I know that all Shopko outlets (except their optical business) closed in 2019; but this location looked abandoned and run down.  Apparently no one to keep the weeds pulled and pick up trash in the empty parking lot.  Retail businesses seem to be closing left and right.

Some of you know about the hail that beat the snot out of our conveyances two weeks ago.  (Seems longer ago than that.)  While we haven't heard the results from Progressive (insurance), yet, there is no question that our CR-V is totaled.  With a new windshield in it, it is fine to drive, just looks awful.  Have you tried to find a vehicle, new or used, to buy right now?  Supplies are significantly down, prices are up.  Yes, I understand "supply and demand."  Much of it is blamed on "the chip shortage."  That would be the computer chip that controls the function of engine.  China has a lock on that industry (along with many other industries).  Auto manufactures cannot get enough chips to keep up with production... meaning that some of the manufacturers are stopping production, hopefully just temporarily, and others (like Ford) are continuing to build, but stockpiling cars and trucks that are "98% completed" on huge lots and fields.  Dealers that would normally have a 90 to 120 day supply of vehicles to sell are operating on an 8 to 20 day supply (from internet sources).  That means they have way less selection than they've had in the past, and many are marking up vehicles $5,000 or more over the MSRP.  And people are still buying.

I am pig-headed enough that I will wait until the supply/demand situation gets back to more normal (and it will get back when more computer chips are being produced again).  In the meantime, I am not one to name my vehicles (except for calling our previous red Sierra diesel pickup Big Red), but I am thinking of calling the CR-V "Rutherford."  If you said, "The nickname of the character Clarence Rutherford in the sit-com Leave It To Beaver (1957 to 1963, was 'Lumpy'," you get 200 bonus points.  "Lumpy" - get it?  There isn't one body panel on what used to be a lovely CR-V that isn't... lumpy.

Finding a vehicle that is about the same weight and dimensions as the CR-V and is towable 4 wheels down is tough.  Dealer lots everywhere are bleak.  Adding those requirements to it makes the pickings even more slim.  

Yesterday, I mentioned we stopped at a candy store on the way home (well, home right now being Hart Ranch).  Every place we go here in the Black Hills seems to have a candy store... apparently, it's a thing.  And when we've gone by them, there seems to be no shortage of customers.  While considering all the above frustrations, there is something that sets me at ease...


That, my friends, is one of those fancy chocolate-dipped and drizzled Twinkies from the candy store.  A twin-pack of regular Twinkies is about $1.29.  These are $1.89 each.  And, SO worth it.  A bit of comfort food in this uncomfortable time.

For the record, petting my big furry boy is also very comforting.


5 comments:

Bob said...

Cap - I no longer want new cars or trucks. I do not care what the outside looks like and do not wash or wax (you can get away with that in Nevada) my vehicles. I do not fix dents or mangled bumpers unless it is a safety issue. I buy based on (in this order): reliability, needed not wanted features/functions, service costs, mileage, and then price. As I drive my vehicles a minimum of 15 years - often 20+ - I do not care about resale as after 20 years and 250,000-350,000 trouble free miles I can afford to sell the car at a low cost to someone I like. This means that the new to me used 2006 Toyota Tundra I bought with 62,000 miles on the clock for $14,000 will cost me about five cents a mile for capital cost if I give it away. I sold my last 2006 Tundra new for $8,000 with 365,000 miles on her when she left the home nest. Again, right at five cents a mile and that was bought new!!! Maybe you should take the Honda back to Texas, over the border to Mexico and get the body work done. Maybe I should not give you advice. See ya. Bob Jarrard

Earl49 said...

FWIW I agree with Bob. We have almost always bought new cars then kept them for 14-15 years, and 140K -200K miles. Our current vehicles are a 2016 F-150 4x4 and a 2019 Subaru Forester, and we're really happy with each. It is unlikely that we will buy another vehicle in my remaining lifetime, unless one of those gets nuked in an accident and must be replaced.

I would get "Lumpy" fixed up cosmetically and keep driving / towing it. A vehicle with a known maintenance and operation history is a good thing.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bob and Earl,

I appreciate the advice... and I may actually take it. ;-) Looking around for a replacement vehicle, we're finding that the selection is pretty slim. I may have to get over my concern with driving "a beater"... at least until the car market cools off. Cosmetically, there isn't a body panel on the CR-V that doesn't have damage. Joan and I have talked about getting the car back to Texas, replacing the sunroof and perhaps the hood. Then consider what we want to do (if anything) for another vehicle.

Bob said...

LINE-X the whole car and be the only one on the Texas Tip with an armored Honda!!! Just kidding, I should have bought Big Red, nice truck, and maybe Wild Blue but if you sell the Honda, it will be a steal for the right person. If the total the car, better yet to buy it back as a salvage title and drive it till the doors fall off. See ya. Bob in Nevada

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Interesting premise, Bob. The dents on the Honda are mostly deep enough that I'd have to put about 6 coats of that stuff on to build it up... pretty sure I'd be over the gross vehicle weight. ;-)

Big Red was a great truck. There are times I miss that beast, but the CR-V is sure easy to park. With the new "exterior customizations" I don't have to worry about where I park in the grocery store lot.

Still haven't heard from the insurance company (Progressive); I called them this morning, and their "Catastrophe Team" (great name btw) has not had the opportunity to evaluate what the adjuster sent them for the damage. We're over the initial shock of it, so we'll handle it in the way that works best for our situation.