Monday, June 3, 2024

Desperate Measures...

 

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  That's what they say... no, I don't know who they are (is?). 

The weasels are in their glory: looks like the thermometer will likely top that 110º mark this week, with one of the local TV stations predicting 113º by Thursday.  Another station is running a contest: the person who predicts the exact day/hour/minute that the official thermometer at the airport hits 110º will win $5,000.

I didn't go out for a ride yesterday... I made breakfast out on the griddle before it got too hot.  I was in need of a ride this morning... but I slept in until 7:10.  It was already 79º at that point.  Getting through my morning routine, it was close to 8:00 before I was ready to gear up for a ride.  It was time to break out the "desperate riding gear": yep, I brought my cooling vest in from the garage and soaked it under the faucet in the sink.  Wring it out and slip it on, then get ready to ride.

The vest really makes a difference - in the mid-80s by the time I rolled out of the driveway, I felt delightfully cool.  The riding was good.  I was behind a pickup for a bit, but got around him on the first available straight stretch where I could see ahead.  Only saw two other motorcycles the whole time.

I stopped at the top for some water and a quick photo of me in the vest...

 

It doesn't look wet, does it?  The fabric somehow holds the moisture, allowing the air that blows through the mesh jacket to act like an air conditioner.  It works great with this low humidity.  I was wearing a cotton t-shirt under the vest; it will definitely be better with a performance type T instead of the cotton.

There were 4 late model Corvettes coming up the mountain as I was heading out of the parking area... looked like they were enjoying the drive.  I'd like to tell you that shortly after that, when they came up behind me, my sporty little scooter held them off through the tight twisties.  I'd like to tell you that, but that would be a big fat lie.  They must have stopped at the parking area to enjoy the views, because I never saw them in my mirrors... and pretty sure it wasn't because the blistering 18.4 horsepower of the Burgman left them in the dust.  ;-)  You don't have to go fast on those mountain roads to enjoy the views.

So, where does that "Burgman name come from?" you ask.  Thanks for asking - this is what my search came up with: in Japan, this model scoot is called the Skywave.  When Suzuki was ready to launch this model in Europe and the US, they found that Skywave name was already in use by another manufacturer in Europe.  They hired an ad agency in Germany to come up with a name, something that would give a feeling or subliminal suggestion aristocracy or people of achievement. but below King or Monarch.

They suggested names relating to Bergers, Burgerman, and medieval structures that were constructed on high elevations.  While the name Burgman has no real accurate association to anything or anyone whatsoever, they felt it was a good sounding name because the combinations of the words Burg, which in German means a medieval fortress or walled town, and Man, would somehow give the bike an aristocratic link, so it felt as if it was a bike to be looked up to or a bike that was elevated above others; hence the name Burgman.

I can't be certain about the accuracy of that explanation, but the Burgman 200 does have an obvious resemblance to the 650 and 400 Burgman models, with its large twin headlights and curvaceous fairing.  I've come to appreciate the looks, performance, and design of this scoot.



No comments: