Monday, June 24, 2024

The DJI Camera and Mic 2 on the Xmax...

 

Out this morning before 7:00.  It was 92º when I got up this morning, shortly after 6:00 am.  95º when I headed out on Joan's Xmax.  I wanted to test the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera and DJI Mic 2 on the Xmax; it has a lower windshield than either of my bikes, so I wanted to see how the auto gain on the Mic 2 would handle that situation.

I didn't take a 360 camera along today - Joan's bike doesn't have a camera mount up front; I ordered a mount when I got back this morning... I like to have the perspective of the 360 views.  That said, I am really enjoying the ease with the DJI Action 4 camera - and the combination of that camera with the DJI Mic 2.  The camera and mic connect automatically when they are both turned on; no fuss.  The microphone has an impressive auto gain control, which does a good job of keeping the audio from clipping while on a motorcycle. I expected some clipping with this set-up on Joan's bike, but I have to say (spoiler alert) that I am impressed with the audio.  And the 4k video from the camera.

Let's cut to the video...

 

I rambled on for 13 minutes or so, with no script.  Discussion of the Yamaha Xmax and the hot weather here in Phoenix.  Helmet visor up most of the time, visor down for a short bit to see if there is much difference in the audio.

The DJI Action 4 camera can shoot in 4k; that is nice resolution.  When uploading to YouTube, that platform compresses the videos.  I did another test, uploading the same clip again in 1080P to see if there is much difference... the 4k takes a lot longer to upload - a 5gb file vs 2gb on the lower resolution.  Result: not a lot of difference when I look at the 2 clips full screen on my MacBook Pro.  I'll probably be uploading in 1080p in the future.

Now that I am done messing with the video, the plan for the day is to start "piles" - piles to go into the motorhome.  Staging them in my music room.  The weather for the upcoming week is highs each day of 110º or more.  When we do bring the motorhome to the house to start the loading process, it will be easier in that heat if we have everything gathered.  That loading will probably happen this weekend, with a planned departure date of Monday... (+/-).  We'll make another trip to the storage place to dump the bleached water that is in the fresh water tank and the lines.  It's beginning to feel real.


No comments: