Wednesday, August 28, 2024

To the ski area...

 

"Are you two thinking about skiing again?" you ask.  Not even if you paid us; that is way back in the rearview mirror.  But, ski areas are often in canyon areas that have fun twisty roads for those of us of the scooter persuasion.  And that's how it looked for the Taos Ski Valley on the map.

I got scoots out of the cargo trailer while Joan was finishing up in the motorhome.  It gave me a chance to test out the Panasonic Lumix Zs100 camera that I did a factory reset on last night...

The image looks reasonably sharp.  I will try to use it for a few shots today.

We geared up and hit the road.  The Taos Ski Vally ski area is only about 22 miles away, so not a big mileage day planned.  The road took us to about the 10,000' elevation at the base of the ski area...


The road was, indeed, twisty on the way up there.  I didn't have a video camera on the bike today, so just the Lumix and my iPhone for photos.  And, the road was bumpy for about the last 12 miles.  There were signs that said "Loose Gravel" and "No Center Line" every mile or so... we expected road construction, but that never materialized.  Looks like they did a chip seal on the road, and the center lines had been painted... but, they did a crap job leveling the chip seal.  I would call it: a butt pounder.

Still, it was a beautiful day (into the upper 60s by the time we got to elevation) and we were happy to be out riding.  We poked around the ski village at the base of the lifts, but everything except condo rentals seemed to be closed.  I was feeling the call... the call of pizza.  We had a plan for our return to Taos.

We did stop to take a few photos on the way down the mountain...


My favorite shot of the day (done with my iPhone)...

Back to Taos, we had an outstanding late lunch at Mondo Italiano... after we found the restaurant.  There must be some kind of sign ordinance here, as no one (OK, very few) has business signs at the street.  This Italian restaurant is in a building with a Mexican and a BBQ restaurant.  And no signage at any door.  I guess it isn't just Enterprise Car Rental that is a CIA front.  ;-)

Quite possibly the best pizza I've had in years.  Or, it may be that I was really hungry after that jaunt at elevation?  We also ordered fettuccine alfredo and did some splitting... and have left overs for another tasty meal.

A stop at Walmart for a couple grocery items, then back to the motorhome, where I reset the clocks on the scoots (one more time zone change when we get back to Arizona) and Murphy got a walk... before the thunder rumbled and the rain came down.

Good timing on our part.  The sky looked threatening when we left the restaurant, so we made it a quick stop at Wally World.  Today was supposed to be the least chance of rain all week.  I don't trust them.


No comments: