Friday, December 11, 2020

Slept like a baby...

 

Woke up crying every two hours and wet myself.  (rimshot)

Just kidding.  Well, about the crying part.  With the catheter removal yesterday, there was a lot of dribbling, and I'm not talking about playing basketball.  My beaten and bruised bladder has been able to let the urine flow as it produced it, for the last 10 days.

A small victory last night was to get some urine out while on the toilet.  Oh, if you're squeamish about urine and related stuff, this is about as graphic as I'm going to get.  There is a learning process with Depends and related male pads.  Seems like it would be intuitive, but placement and fit matter.  The first few hours in bed were fitful, as I concerned myself with... um... checking for leaks.  I think I fell asleep finally after 2:00.  Around 4:00am, I got up to check - not a lot of urine in there.  Between 4:00 and 6:00, it was dry.  I'd like to say because I am relearning control, but more likely because I hadn't had anything to drink in hours.  The small victory at this point: making it through the night without leaking on the bed.

Joan graciously put down a puppy pad where my hips are on the bed.  No idea if it would be necessary, but I didn't want to make more laundry.

Up and taking on the day.  I did my morning routine and made coffee for Joan.  Another small victory, but important to me.  Walking around is easier without the catheter.  I am standing straight and walking tall... well, as tall as my height will allow.  I've done a couple "laps" of the house.

My intent here isn't to overshare.  Someone else will go through this and may find this "daily life" information helpful.  I'm looking ahead to get back as much "normal" as possible... and goodness knows normal hasn't always come easy for me.  A friend said to me, "You still have your sense of humor."  You have to laugh at some of this to keep from feeling sorry for yourself.  On the bright side: compared to my infancy, this is a step up... I can change my own diaper... well, more like big-boy pull-up pants.  ;-)

-------

Another small victory this afternoon: Joan suggested Domino's for a pizza and sandwich.  And, a crispy lava cake dessert.  I am SO in.  I have been eating a lot of soup (home-made and tasty) and chicken.  She knows what I like!  I wanted to drive, so I was her chauffeur; she went in to pick it up.  Truth be told, I'm still a bit tender, and I can brace myself on the steering wheel for the bumps.  ;-)

Joan took this photo of Rufus and his Pops getting in a nap...


The big furry boy is on a pillow to spread out his weight on my lap.  I must have been really tired, having fallen asleep sitting up.  Ruf can sleep in any position... I'm trying to learn from him.


 

No comments: