Thursday, December 31, 2020

Baby, it's cold outside...

 

If you said, ""Baby, It's Cold Outside" is a popular song written by Frank Loesser in 1944 and introduced to the public in the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter," I am impressed, and you get 750 bonus points.  I'm not going to get into any discussion of the recent controversy of this song.

It is a chilly New Years Eve Day in the Tropical Tip - it was 50º when I got up this morning, with the north wind gusting above 35mph and the humidity was 87%.  Rain off and on overnight.  I thought I might not a walk in today.  I let things dry up a bit, and took my morning walk around 1:00pm...


 So, what'd you do all morning?  Thanks for asking - much the same as I did last night: playing the new SG.  In spite of the ugly fret ends, the guitar has nice action and a great variety of tones.  Joan ordered a set of fret filing tools from StewMac (a company that makes/sells tools for working on guitars).  It will be a week or two before those come in, and I will work on the guitar.

In the meantime...



 

That's a THR30ii amp at the lower left - this guitar is a nice match-up with that versatile small amp.

The issue with the guitar is the fret ends on the lower side of the neck...


Even with the phone camera, you can see where the fret ends aren't flush with the side of the neck.  Every place where those metal frets stick out is like a meat-hook, grabbing where your hand (mostly the left index finger) rubs against as you move up and down the neck.  It takes special tools to file that down without scarring up the binding (white area on the edge of the neck) or the fretboard itself.

The guitar itself seems decent; just a problem with those fret ends.  Since I haven't done that kind of work before, I assume it will take me a couple hours (being careful) once the tools get here.  


No comments: