Thursday, December 10, 2020

Up and at 'em...

 

Today is the first follow-up after the big poke.  We will get the pathology report, and supposedly they will remove the catheter.  What I have read about the catheter varies from "that was the worst part" to "relatively painless."  You know why the difference?  If it is happening to you, it is "the worst part," if it is happening to someone else, it is "relatively painless."  ;-)

I'm not sure what to expect after the catheter removal, but it sounds like incontinence is to be expected.  Hopefully, temporarily.  I am prepared... Depends and some "peni-pads" (reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live fake commercial).

We'll see how this plays out.

--------

A bit over an hour wait at the doctor's office.  Cut to the chase, the pathology report was mostly good.  The surgeon took some extra tissue that she "didn't like the look of" and there was cancer in that tissue.  The good news would be: that is the end of it.  The reality is: I'll go back in 8 weeks and have another PSA blood test done and we'll re-evaluate.  I'm calling that: 8 weeks of good news.

Having the catheter out is a welcome relief.  Mostly.  The process of taking it out wasn't bad.  Not having it there means that Mr Penis, in conjunction with Mr Bladder, have some relearning to do.  No idea how long that will take, but here's the bright side for you readers: I won't be posting any photos of me in my adult male urinary hygiene products.  I've seen the commercials on TV with women touting "how pretty" their Depends are.  I will spare us all... suffice it to say that I haven't seen any similar commercials for men.

I have homework.  Kegel exercises.  You can look it up if you want, but it is to strengthen the pelvic floor, and help retrain the sphincter that controls the flow of urine.  Yep, it's a pisser. 

No scooter riding for a month.  The surgeon looked moderately horrified when I asked; she explained that I would be "sitting on" where the big cut was.  Not a problem, it wasn't something I feel the need to rush... just like to have a goal to shoot for.  I am cleared to drive a car again starting tomorrow.  I will continue walking, though, to build up strength and stamina.  

It's a process, and I'm going after it.

--------

After leaving the doctor's office, I got Chick-fil-A.  We made two other stops on the way home, both short.  Still, about an hour and a half to get home.  Hey, I've seen how much urine my bladder produced over the last 10 days.  Some things should not be put off.

 



2 comments:

Bob said...

Jim, a good friend had his bladder removed and for a time there were all the issues you mention but over time and with some re-constructive surgery, he gained pretty good control. If he had changed his diet and eating habits it would go even better for him as in no alcohol in the late afternoon/evening and not over consuming liquids during the day (the coke or ice tea habit). We are all pulling for you, was on the road yesterday and thought how nice it would be to have a co-pilot as you do, even on roads I know I get lost!!!! Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bob. I am very fortunate that Joan and I are "a set" and we do almost everything together. She has been a champ in helping me get through this.