Thursday, August 25, 2022

I thought that was a mountain lion...

 

That's what the guy said as he came to a stop with his golf cart so he could take a good long look at Rufus.

My response, "He's a bit small for that, but he has the heart of a mountain lion."  We are in a corner lot, so once off our patio, we're a bit more visible; and there seems to be plenty of drive-by and walk-by traffic here.  People frequently comment about "that cat on a leash."  Some want to stop and talk cats.  Some ask if they can pet him ("Sure, he's very social.").  And some just gawk.  We have been walking our cats on a leash since we first got Molly (2005 when we officially adopted her), so it seems like everyday stuff to us.

We are still trying out his new harness.  Joan thought the previous one might not be comfortable for him, since he kept pulling one front leg out.  I think he was just going for that "one shoulder look"... or, maybe not.  This new one is just straps, much thinner.  He is not one to pull on the leash (Izzy would do that when she got determined about going a particular direction - usually toward a big dog); usually just a light bit of pressure and a "this way" suggestion (you don't give commands to a cat) will keep Ruf headed in the general direction I'm going for.  But, most of the time, I let him set the pace and direction, with a bit of input from me to keep him from going onto someone else's site or walking through the mud.  He is a boy, and there are a few muddy spots after the rain of the past couple days.

I don't know - does this look like a mountain lion to you?


The boy was looking at some birds through the window.  No, he doesn't chase after the birds when we're out walking.  He does keep an eye on 'em, though.  He doesn't seem to have that hunting/stalking instinct like our girls.  Why hunt when meals are on a convenient schedule?  ;-)


6 comments:

Earl49 said...

Buddy was always nicknamed the "Suburban Lawn Puma". So I get the mountain lion reference. We have friends with Maine Coon litter mates that could be mistaken for lynx easily enough. Duke is 18 pounds of muscle and Bengal tiger colored (orange tabby). After he bit my hand a couple of months ago while attacking Lucy, I believe the "tiger" part.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - Things change. Rufus was 10 pounds of husky muscle when we first got him. Not sure I'd classify his physique as "muscle(ish) these days, but the husky part still fits. Some people don't know what to say, thus that "mountain lion" comment this morning... they just want to visit, I guess.

An 18 pound cat bite can be a real "crunch"! I'm assuming you had a talk with him... not that it will change anything. I don't think I've ever seen one of our cats look guilty or sorry... defiant, perhaps?

With all the walks and good nutrition, we have Ruf down to just under 15 pounds. Fighting weight. Except he's a lover not a fighter. Well, he did nip at me a few days ago - we were out for a walk and I think he found some catnip again. He can be a mean drunk. Fortunately, the effects pass pretty quick with him.

Has Duke mellowed any with his behavior around Lucy? Need to schedule a visit with Jackson Galaxy? ;-)

Earl49 said...

Duke was 16 pounds when we got him and 18 pounds at the last vet visit. He isn't pudgy, just put on some solid muscle with good regular nutrition. He is one serious armload of cat. I was lucky with the bite on my finger picking hand. It did not damage any tendons, but did cause a nasty infection that kept me on antibiotics for ten days. I learned not to get in the middle of a "cat battery" again. (Cat battery is when a negative cathode combines with a positive anode to cause sparks, or in this case a fur-flying fight).

Duke has NOT mellowed, as we had another attack just last week. Alice was out in the yard and could not help, so the episode got away from me and they tangled. This time it was Lucy fur scattered around, but no serious wounds. He is very loving to people -- he'll climb up on the lap of even total strangers -- but will not tolerate another small animal of any kind within his domain. He is always on red alert whenever going outside, so we stopped the leashed walks around the yard. He goes from "totally mellow fellow" to "frenzied chainsaw killer panther" in a literal eye blink. I fear that we will have to keep them separated and closely supervised forever, at least as long as Lucy is alive (she's nine and healthy). After eight full months things still have not settled, so they probably won't, despite some small incremental progress. But he is such a cuddly boy for Alice that we'll put up with the inconvenience. I'd love to do a Vulcan mind meld with him and make him understand the situation and how Lucy is no threat, but kitty brains don't work that way. He has had some prior rough street history for sure.

Jackson Galaxy? I don't get the reference.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. Sorry Duke hasn't mellowed. Hopefully with time, he will learn to love Lucy. But, I understand the situation.

Jackson Galaxy was the host of the TV show "My Cat From Hell," where he would show up with his cat stuff in a guitar case and tell people how to mellow out their rowdy cat. A reality show, but for those of us who understand feline behavior, not always "realistic." My comment was humor... like most humor, it suffers when it needs an explanation.

Earl49 said...

Since we don't have cable, Dish, or any other TV service, I caught the middle half of one "Cat From Hell" episode during a hotel stay last year. I did not make the connection.

Duke is such a sweetie - if you are people. But if you are a small animal, he is totally different. Once I was walking him on his leash between our house and the next door neighbor's. Neighbor came out to chat and his little 4-pound toy poodle followed to the fence. The neighbor was able to pet Duke OK, but it was clear to all (including the smart little dog) that Duke had murder in his eyes. I've seen that look before in the eyes of a lion at the zoo. It is what it is, I guess and we are bonded for better or worse. If Alice had to choose between me and Duke, I know who would lose (not him). Do they make kitty Prozac?

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

They do make drugs for cats - but the end result is it dulls them. You wouldn't see the same personality. Sweet little Izzy was great around people and dogs, but downright nasty when another cat was near. The only time I've seen Rufus growl and put his ears back was when walking him at home and a stray cat approached. I steered him away, but he wasn't happy. I'd like to think he would be a sweet "big brother" if we ever brought another kitten home, but I don't think we'd chance it.

Steph and Dan's 3 cats get along fine, but it took a while before their alpha female would have anything to do with the new boy.

What happens if you and Alice are in the same room and she holds Duke while you hold Lucy?