Monday, August 29, 2022

Torn about a title...

 

Joan and I put over 100 miles on the bikes just in Custer State Park today.  The riding was good, the traffic was light.

The first title I considered for this post was: "Seasons Change and So Do I..."  If you said, "A line from the song No Time, by The Guess Who, 1969," you get 20 bonus points.  If you said, "Hey, didn't you do a cover of that earlier this year?" you get another 20 bonus points.  The season is changing here in the Black Hills - we saw more UTVs than motorcycles today.  The biker folks have moved on and there is a bit of autumn in the air, even though it was an absolutely gorgeous day.

The other title consideration came later in the ride.  I thought perhaps it might be too suggestive for the title: "A Piece of Tail..."  If you asked, "Are you going to give us too much personal information again, Jim?" you get no bonus points.  We were riding up Highway 89, enjoying the views and fun curves; coming around one curve a squirrel ran across the road... a bit too close in front of me.  I swerved a little - enough that I thought I might miss him, but not enough to get me in trouble.  Apparently (from Joan's description), I caught his tail with my tire, spun him around (minus a bit of tail), and he ran to the side of the road where he started.  I heard Joan's "Ohhhhh!" in my headset.  I asked, "Did I squish him?"  She related what you just read.  It was close.

Our routing today: Spring Creek Road to Hwy 79 to Hwy 36 into Custer State Park.  We took the Wildlife Loop, but the only thing we saw were a few antelope too far off the road to even try for a photo.  Still, the riding was a delight: in the 70s for most of today's ride, and that Wildlife Loop road is just a pleasure to ride.  A few photos...





We stopped for a picnic (twice over the course of the ride)...


Then back to riding...



A view from Highway 89 (prior to the squirrel de-tailing)...

We eventually made our way to Needles Highway...




The second picnic stop and we saw this along the lower part of Needles Highway...



I had put my 360 camera away - we each got a photo of this buffalo with our phones.  Nowhere near the Wildlife Loop.

More fun riding, then back to the motorhome and some patio time with Rufus...


He and I did a couple walks this evening; the last one rather lengthy.  The furry boy has good stamina.  Plus... he's a good boy!

;-)



2 comments:

Earl49 said...

You remind me of an incident when I was a teen. We lived in the country and the squirrels were becoming pests (tearing through window screens to get into the kitchen because mom had been feeding them stale bread). I took the .22 and decided to thin the heard a bit. One cagey squirrel was way up in an oak tree. As I walked around the tree he scampered to the back side. I threw a rock on the far side and he came around within view. I shot and he jumped away. But his tail came fluttering down through the branches. I figured that my point was made.

And Rufus IS a good boy!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I remind you of shooting a little woodland creature??? LOL Are squirrels like starfish: shoot their tail off and they'll grow it back? Or, did that rodent with a furry jacket get called Stubby after that?

And, you're right: Rufus is a really good boy. ;-)