Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Unexpected pleasant surprise...

 

I got out early today on the CTX.  Just looking to ride.  No photos or video.  Curvy roads, winding up on Iron Mountain Road.  This being the Tuesday of the Rally, I anticipated loads of traffic... and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't play out that way.

Early for two reasons: traffic and heat... it is supposed to get to 97º today.  My timing was good, as there was almost no traffic on Spring Creek Road, Neck Yoke Road, South Rockerville Road, and Playhouse Road; I never had to speed up to stay ahead of traffic coming up behind or slow down for traffic in front of me.  I knew that wouldn't hold out for Iron Creek Road... but, surprise!

I had my lane to myself, able to ride as fast or slow as I wanted.  The occasional bike (or group of bikes) passed the other direction.  Through the curves, the first tunnel, the first split, the next tunnel, the next split - what a delight!  And when I got to the pigtail bridges where traffic generally gets bunched up - not a car or bike in front of me!  During the Rally!

I left home around 8:00, so it wasn't the crack of dawn for getting out.  There are usually 3 different places taking photos on Iron Mountain Road during the Rally - I only passed one today, and he grabbed a camera as I rolled up on that curve... not like he was anticipating much traffic at 9:15.

All the way out on Iron Mountain Road and into Keystone, where there were plenty of parking spots available.  I stopped at my usual spot to gas up and only had to wait a minute or two to get a pump.  By the time I got home around 10:00, it was already 90º.

It gave me time to make some breakfast on the griddle and upload the video I shot yesterday...


 No fancy production, just a few captions added.


No comments: