Friday, August 5, 2022

It was SO hot...

 

Audience: "How hot was it?"

If you said, "An old bit with Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon," you get 20 bonus points.  If you said, "Who are Johnny Carson and Ed Whats-his-name?" you are a whippersnapper... and get off my lawn, ya damn kid!

Another hot day in the Black Hills.  I didn't get out early enough to escape the heat, but I still enjoyed the ride.  With today being the first official day of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, it is a given that the roads are going to be busy with bike traffic.  I went down Hwy 79 to Hwy 36, and took that to Iron Mountain Road.  On Hwy 36, I wound up between two groups of riders, essentially putting me with them.  They were riding sanely, so it wasn't a problem, but when the turn to Iron Mountain Road came up, I turned; both groups went straight to go get their passes for Custer State Park.

For quite a while, I had IMR to myself.  I thought I might get some video of a stream of bikes coming the opposite direction, but it was never much of "a stream."  A couple notable things: someone went off the road on one of the curves, and there were a lot of bikes stopped on either side of the road.  I saw a group of people pushing the bike through the tall grass, so the bike and rider must have gotten off relatively easy.

The other incident was a shit show where a tour bus stopped after going through one of the tunnels - the driver stopped IN THE ROAD, in the lane opposite where he should have been...


That was bad enough, but then he started discharging passengers... while in the road!  To make it even worse, the dumbass in the pickup decided he was going around the bus, whether he could see if something was coming or not.  I did shoot some video of that shit show...


 (Not my usual video with cuts, edits, music, and effects.)

The rest of the ride was uneventful, other than a regular stream of traffic.

Back at the motorhome, I asked Joan if there was anything she wanted to do today... "Maybe take the car to Sturgis to look around?"  On second thought - it's too freakin' hot (around 100º again today).  Another day.

------- 

Learning about "Shorts" on YouTube.  No, it's not the short pants clothing, but a short video clip you can post direct to Facebook or other social media right from YouTube. 15 to 60 seconds, in a vertical format - I'm guessing it is YouTube's way to try to compete with TikTok.  I posted one of riding through a tunnel on Iron Mountain Road today, and it had over 500 views in about 15 minutes.  Yeah, I need to get out more.






No comments: