Monday, September 5, 2022

Dad Bike...

 

 

Everyone knows what a "Dad bod" is; same with "Dad jokes."  I have come to the conclusion that my CTX is officially a "Dad bike."  It isn't badass like a Harley.  It doesn't have horsepower like a liter bike.  It isn't an "adventure bike" like a BMW GS.  It isn't a cross country mile muncher like a Goldwing.  It isn't cute and stylish like a Vespa.

What it is: a very competent bike.  Compared to almost any car, or the Vespa I had previously, it is fast off the line.  It is comfortable - I can ride all day and neither my ass nor my back is any the worse for wear.  The Dual Clutch Transmission is misunderstood by most riders - they think that somehow it must be like driving a Toyota Corolla... they would be wrong.  The DCT is part of the fun of riding this bike, and it continues to impress me.  It gets good mileage - most people non-riders) would be shocked to find out that 40 - 50 miles per gallon is typical of most bikes (other than smaller displacement scooters).  When I gassed up today, I got 76.6 mpg on that tank.

It goes through the curves admirably.  The suspension isn't high-tech, but it feels planted.  With the DCT, I can downshift to get some engine braking, then accelerate out of a curve.  It is a fun bike.  It fits me (or I fit on it).

Now that we are well beyond the Rally, almost all the other motorcyclists wave.  But, when I pull into a gas station or a parking lot, it is "invisible" compared to the Vespa.  No one approaches me to ask about the bike; I'm just fine with that.

I would call this my "Dad bike."  It does just what I need. 

Today, my "need" was to push the bike through some curves; early in the day, because it is going to be another hot one (upper 90s).  I went north, leaving our site just after 8:00.  Breakfast at Mickey D's then up to Sturgis, into Vanocker Canyon, onto Nemo Road, a right on Norris Peak Road, east on Rimrock Highway, then back to "the ranch."  Early enough to take care of Rufus for his lunch.

A few photos...




Here's a "short" from what I shot today...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yj11Rl05mC0

I really felt like I was a bit of a Dad bike guy while riding through Vanocker Canyon today: I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have been riding a bit over the speed limit... coming around one curve, a row of 5 sport bikes came from the other direction - they had to have been doing 80 mph and leaned way over as they blew by the other direction... and still gave me a wave on their way past.  No, I did not have the camera on for that.  Here's from my perspective on some of the ride...




No comments: