Thursday, September 15, 2022

On-line reviews...

 

You know what Mexican food is called at our home in south Texas?  Food.

We share a chuckle in our family when it comes to Taco John's (a fast food Mexican restaurant): Stephanie and I like it a lot (mostly for Potato Olés dipped in the nacho cheese sauce), Joan is not as big a fan.

We have been eating at a Mexican restaurant in downtown Rapid City called ¿Que Pasa?.  The food is good, but what I'd call upscale; the prices are higher than typical for Mexican food, but the portions are large.  As in: another whole meal with the left-overs.  We tried another place that was less expensive and smaller portions, but the service was painful; as in: it took forever to get our orders taken and Joan's food arrived about 10 minutes before mine.  She was almost done before I got to take a bite.

After reading some very good reviews from members here at the RV resort, we tried another place today: Mexico Tipico, a few miles out of town on Rimrock Highway.  The reviews were right - it was good authentic Mexican, tasty, reasonable prices and portions, and outstanding Sopapillas (with honey, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and sprinkles).

I guess you can sometimes trust those on-line reviews.

--------

Before lunch, I got in another good motorcycle ride this morning.  The weasels were predicting rain for this morning, but it didn't play out - I rode in glorious sunshine with temps around 70º.  I keep thinking each ride I get may be the last while we're here.  Five more days... it has to end soon.  (sigh)


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

We always felt that way about late September and early October rides in Alaska. They were pretty cool temperatures, but you knew that snow was coming any day, grounding the bikes until late April. There was one November where we got zero snow or ice and I went out riding for about 90 minutes. It was 14° that day but the roads were perfectly dry. I froze my butt off even with an electric vest, battery powered socks, and electric grips. But I can say that I rode my motorcycle on November 14 in Alaska one year. The snow fell the next day and flash froze the ponds, so Alice went ice skating the next weekend. Enjoy every ride!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. Your story of riding in Alaska in November reminds me of any opportunity to get the bike out in the winter months when we lived in the frozen northland. Sometimes you just NEED that. My fingertips still burn when they get cold.

I know there will be more riding when we get home, but the roads just don't compare. It will, however, be warm. ;-)

Earl49 said...

I hear you. There is no way that I would try riding in that kind of cold these days -- that was 20 years ago. I mostly wanted to say that I had ridden my motorcycle on my birthday in Alaska. Just stupid bragging rights. You have great rides there in SD, and not so much in the Tropical Tip.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yep - at home, we have some pretty nice weather all winter long, when riding in the frozen northland is unthinkable (to me)... just missing some fun roads. There is a map that shows "good motorcycle roads in Texas"... nothing south of San Antonio (which is 300 miles north of us). But, we do have some beautiful scenery along the coast; just not much in the way of a hill or a curve. ;-) I can't really complain - I have been able to get a year's worth of riding in our almost 3 months here.