Monday, September 14, 2020

Fire!

 

So, the big news was going to be the fact that we did the last of the shooting for the next Mark & Jim music video.  I scouted out a location, and Joan made the most of everything there.

Back at the coach, I was downloading the videos when Joan said, "Something close is on fire!"  I was so engrossed in loading video files, not listening to the outside world with my noise-reduction headphones on... I turned my head to look out the window in the coach door, and... solid, black smoke.

I went to work unhooking the coach, while Joan put Rufus in the car and drove it a safe distance away.  She came back to get slides pulled in and jacks up; I left the utilities right where they were and drove the motorhome to an unoccupied site a block and a half away.  I ran (well, as much as I can run) towards where she parked the car - she was already heading toward me, with Rufus in her arms.  The big furry boy didn't know what was going on, but he knew not to struggle - I took him and went back to the coach and put him inside.

Then, back to our site to see if there was anything else that I needed to move...

The flames are coming where a Class C motorhome had been parked, 3 sites down from us.  You can see our white cargo trailer where it got left behind... yes, we really like our scoots, but we grabbed each other, grabbed Rufus, got the coach and the car out of there before the propane tank in that motorhome exploded!

Catching my breath, I pulled out of the site I had pulled straight into and backed into another site so we could plug in and have some air conditioning (92º today); in the meantime, I ran the generator so Rufus would stay cool.

The Rockerville Fire Department was then within minutes, but the Class C was fully engulfed.  When they got the last of the flames out, we felt it was safe enough to go back to our site.  The Fire Department was still there...


This is all that was left...


The RVs on either side (a Class C on one side, a 5th wheel on the other) look to have gotten enough heat for the exterior walls to delaminate; I would guess they are totaled, as well.  Thus, the reason we got our coach out of there ASAP.  As far as I know, the people in the Class C got out, as well as the adjacent RVs.

I feel for all those folks.

The phone was on video when I first went to shoot...


I was amazed at the number of looky-loos - I had to honk and holler to get people out of the street so I could get our coach moved.  SMH

-----------------

After getting settled back in, here's a screen capture of what I was working on when Joan saw the fire...



No comments: