Tuesday, September 8, 2020

So...


Didja get snow?

Thanks for asking.  It was less than a dusting, more than a trace.  Nothing on the roads here in the resort, but some on the grass and cars.  It got down to around 37º, and the high today will only be around 45º.  So, yeah, it's cold.

I took the car into town just before noon - there was snow on the surrounding hills; snow on the windshield, too, when I got into the car.  I went out to go to a motorcycle shop to see about getting a tire for the Vespa.  My first stop was at a large powersports dealer; I told the service writer that I had a Vespa and was looking for a tire repair or a new tire.

His response was: "Vespa?  Is that a scooter?  We don't really work on scooters."

I said, "You handle Yamaha - they have scooters.  Besides, it is a tire, not an engine situation."

"We don't really work on scooters, especially those Chinese ones."

I said, "Vespa is Italian."

"Pretty much the same thing."

I knew this was pointless.  Then he said, "There's a guy we recommend scooters to, because we don't really work on scooters.  Do you want his phone number?  He even works on Chinese scooters."

I had to bite my tongue to not say what I was thinking, but graciously accepted his offer for the phone number.  I went out to the car and called the guy.  No answer on the first number, but he answered the phone with "Hello?" on the second number.

I asked if this was the scooter shop, and he said, "Yes, but I'm out of the shop right now."

I explained my situation, telling him, "I have a Vespa GTS."

"Oh, that's a nice scooter."  That was encouraging.  We visited for a bit, and he told me he used to have a shop that handled Vespa and MotoGuzzi.  Also encouraging.  Then he said, "I can try to patch your tire from the inside before ordering a new tire, or put a tube in it."  Even more encouraging.

He lives and has his shop in a small town east of Rapid City... population 670.  Not exactly the scooter capital of the Midwest.  He doesn't work by appointment - first come, first served.  He did say that he has the equipment to take a tire off the rim and knew that the muffler would have to come off and a gasket would probably be needed.  So, I'm going to give him a try.  When it warms up just a bit... even though I'll be taking the Vespa in the cargo trailer.

When I got home, I took Rufus for a walk... with the big furry boy in his sweater.  Again.  I swear, he likes the sweater.  I was in my down coat and gloves, hood up on the coat.  It was 41º.  I plan to be in side (with the heat on) the rest of the day.


2 comments:

BiloxiBeau said...

伟士牌
Wěi shì pái

Vespa in Chinese, just in case

Cbrat Bob

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

LOL You never know when that will come in handy.