Monday, October 4, 2021

A quiet start to the day...

 

I was out early(ish) this morning, treated to a pretty sky view that didn't last long...


 As you might imagine from the clouds, it was a bit humid.  Still, a good bicycle ride.  I like getting out before the rest of the world is out and about.  Some people walking dogs, a few out getting their morning exercise, but mostly just quiet.

A few minutes later, the sky was mostly a monotone gray.  Gotta enjoy it while you can.  A good metaphor for life?

--------

Well, that was weird...

More on the weird in a moment.  I got out on the Vespa today, for a pleasure ride.  I did stop to get mail, as I had a notice that some guitar picks I ordered were marked "delivered."  When I came out, heading for my scoot, there were two ladies looking at it... one was telling the other, "These are the best scooters ever."  I was still wearing my helmet, so it was pretty obvious that the bike is mine.  The one who was enthusiastic about the Vespa asked me, "What size is this?"

"300cc," I told her.

"Oh, I didn't know they made them that big - it is so beautiful!  Sexy Italian!"  She told me she had a 50cc Vespa when she was younger.  She was wearing a mask, so I had no idea of her age range, but I did compliment her on her good taste.  ;-)  She was a little bit of a thing, and said, "This is way too big for me - my feet would never touch."  Yeah, I could see that (she was definitely on the short side of 5').

No, that wasn't the weird part - people frequently comment about the Vespa.  I went on my ride - over the causeway, up and down the island, then back across the causeway, and back to our island.  I put the scoot away and brought in the mail.  I was looking forward to trying out the new picks.

Before I changed out of my riding jeans, I took a guitar off the way and strummed with one of the new picks... "Oh, my goodness - that is incredibly bad!"  My lively X7 sounded like it was full of old socks.  I tried one of the previous models of the "same material" - it sounded great.  I tried one of the new picks on another guitar - totally dead sounding.  I came out to the kitchen where Joan is cooking up a storm and said, "Listen to this - tell me if you can hear a difference."  I dropped one of the old picks (supposedly the same material) on our Corian® counter; then dropped a new one.  She said, "Yes, they sound different."  I brought out a guitar and played one, then the other - she could definitely hear a difference.

OK, it's not just me.  I picked up the phone and called the guy who makes these picks; told him I was not happy with the sound of this "new process." (He is able to mold the picks instead of cutting them out by hand, reducing his labor and the price.)  He said, "I really appreciate that feedback - everyone else who has tried them thinks they're great.  I will give you your money back."

I thanked him and told him I'd put these picks in the mail back to him tomorrow.  He said, "Just toss them if you aren't happy with them - I'm processing your refund right now; Paypal is real good about getting this done right away."

I thanked him and told him, "I wouldn't feel right about that - I'll get them back to you in the mail."

"Really - please don't.  I don't want you to spend time and money returning them.  I just want you to be satisfied."

I said, "You understand, there is no satisfaction in throwing these away, and I won't keep something I didn't pay for."

He said, "There - the refund is done.  Feel free to leave a review."

"You want me to review a pick that sounds bad?  I've been buying picks from you since you started business 10 years ago.  I like your picks - I don't like this new molded process pick - it really doesn't sound as good as the ones you cut by hand."

He said, "I just spent $40,000 on a machine to do this new process, so this is the future of what our picks will be."

I said, "I have been paying $20 to $25 apiece and these new ones are $9 - and they really don't sound as good as what you have been making.  How can you make them so cheap if they are 'the same material'?"

"No labor costs.  It is the same material."

I said, "They don't feel the same or sound as good.  I don't think you want me to leave that as a review."

He said, "I have had nothing but good reviews on this new process - people love them.  Some people have questioned 'nothing but good reviews' - your opinion will show that the rest of the reviews are real."

Yep, that was weird.  I'll put the picks in an envelope and send them back tomorrow.



No comments: