Sunday, October 24, 2021

One per day...

 

I got out early enough on my e-bike to see the sunrise...

 

Warmish and humid, but still a good ride.  When I got home, I started in again with the owners manual for the Equinox on my laptop.  I am now up to page 315, so only another hundred or so pages to go.  Joan has joked about my preference to read dry things like this owners manual over the fiction that she enjoys.  I have picked up some interesting information in the manual, but some of the stuff, like the infotainment center, isn't exactly intuitive.

Oh, I could just start poking away at the touch screen, but with my luck, I'd manage to press the exact combination of touches that causes the car to become a locked-down paperweight.  So, as I come up with something unfamiliar in the manual, I make a trip to the car to see if I can figure it out.  While I did manage to remote start the car, I had some difficulty getting the current location in our driveway to be "home."

The mailboxes that our homeowners association installed a couple years ago simplified our "two addresses situation" as far as getting mail, but entering our address in the navigation system still puts it at our mailbox, not our home.  I have not become so feeble-minded that I can't find my way from our mailbox to our house.  Putting in our actual street address gets us right to our house... but the rest of the world (like UPS, FedEx, and the US Postal System) don't recognize the street we live on, since these are private streets.

In the meantime, I used the onboard navigation vs Apple Maps on the Apple CarPlay.  I sat in the car with the a/c keeping things comfortable and called Joan through the bluetooth in the car.  Sounds good.  She joined me in the car and set up the Sirius/XM with our favorites.  I went through a bunch of settings on the Driver Information Center (not to be confused with the infotainment center), to get the parameters where I think I want them (why would anyone want to turn off Traction Control and Stability Control?).

I learned that with the remote start feature, the car turns on the climate control, using the ambient conditions to decide if it should put on air conditioning or heat.  Steph and Dan have used that feature for years on their vehicles, so I can see how it could make the car more comfortable to get in on a hot day... and in south Texas and Arizona, there are a LOT of hot days.

Some of the features, like Lane Keep Assist, Front Pedestrian Braking, Automatic Emergency Braking, Blind Zone Alert and others will have to be tried out when we venture beyond our driveway.

Yeah, that's more than one new thing per day.  But, I think I'm at the limit of what I can retain.


2 comments:

Jeff Collingwood said...

The reason to turn off traction control is when you are stuck. You can use the rocking method to get out. Pretty rare. The reason to turn off stability control is for racing so the vehicle can achieve optimum slip. Evidently, stability control keeps the vehicle from gaining its maximum speed in a wheel slip situation. For us old guys, sensible guys, we'd never turn off stability control.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Jeff. Yeah, I get that. And, I fit that "old guy" description. I do turn off the traction control on my Vespa when Joan wants to "race" the scoots... she still beats me. ;-) Lots of safety options on this one. I remember "the good ol' days," where the vehicles didn't have to baby-sit us. LOL