Saturday, May 14, 2022

Drummer for hire...

 

I work cheap.  Mark and I were visiting yesterday, talking guitars, life, guitars, and more life.  He asked me if I would record another drum track for a song he and I are working on... "Sure, glad to."  And then he asked if I would mind recording a drum track for a song he is working on with one of the guys from MIM that we got together with when Joan and I were in Arizona.  Again: "Absolutely - send me the files on what you have and I'll see what I can do."

He sent the files to me last night, and I listened to them and did a bit of practice playing along with the files before laying down a couple tracks.  Drums, not a cajon.  Good exercise, with all 4 appendages going.  I may need a nap.

--------

Shooting the loop...

When I was a teenager, that's what we called it: driving around the main streets in our city.  It was a mile or more long on a one-way street, turn on another main drag, and back down a mile or so on another one-way street.  Round and round.  Oh, occasionally there would be a stop light to stop light drag race, you'd see your friends, and maybe pull into Burger Kwik to hang out... it sure wasn't to eat the questionable burgers there.  But mostly, it was pointless; a way to pass the time.  I think most places have their version of this.

Pretty much the same thing happens around here... except it is golf carts and alcohol is involved.  Well, to be fair, there are plenty of people driving up and down the streets here in cars and pickup truck, too.  Mostly adults, some families (all 6 or 7 of them in a 4 person golf cart, although there are plenty of 6 to 10 person golf carts around), and a few with just kids in the cart (may be old enough to have a drivers license, but doubtful).  This is all happening around dusk.  The demographics will change after dark, when the adults settle into their house or rental, and it will be more kids on carts.

I will admit that I "shot the loop" back when I was a kid... and gas was 29¢ a gallon.  But that was 50 years ago.  It is seasonal here: in the winter, it is the over 55 set who drive around in golf carts as a mobile happy hour.  As we get closer to summer, it is more the weekend folks and Valley people who have a getaway here on this island.  Spring and fall tend to be more quiet, without the regular sunset cruisers.

Walking Rufus this evening, he seemed intrigued by the constant flow of traffic... "Oh, look at the kitty!"

Ah, summer time.

 


No comments: