Monday, May 9, 2022

Photo shoot...

 

I spent quite a bit of time playing the new 12-string after I got back from my motorcycle ride this morning.  I am very impressed with how it sounds and plays... it has even been easy on my fingertip callouses, although I do have to shake my hand out for a few seconds every once in a while, as my hand muscles get used to this wider neck.

Joan went to the store and left me unsupervised.  I was thinking this new guitar needs some proper photos... I took a quick shot with it in the case when I first opened it, but the other photos were images from Taylor, and not of this specific guitar.  With wood guitars, and especially with the flamed maple on the back and sides, every guitar is a bit different.  This one has some striking bookmatched flamed maple - I wanted to capture that.  No, I didn't set up studio lighting, because I don't have any... I used the light coming through the full-length 3-pane windows/door leading to our deck.

The obligatory "front shot"...

 The flamed maple on the side, and champfered edges...


The ebony headstock...


The back - this is the aforementioned bookmatched flamed maple...



The arm bevel...


The detail work around the soundhole and the inlays on the fretboard...


It is a delight.

It was time for new strings on the X7; I set up my "guitar work station" on the island in the kitchen.  It's a good standing height to work on.  As good as the new Taylor plays with light gauge strings, I thought I'd give that a try on the X7.  With the small body on that guitar, I usually use mediums or light/mediums on it.  The sound is different with the lighter strings - a bit less "punch" than I get with mediums.  Joan suggested I try tuning it down a half-step.  I know: I was surprised by that bit of advice, too... but, I guess she was listening when I told her I was tuning the 12-string down a half step, just to see if there is a change in tone.  Seems that a lot of 12-string players do that.  I gave that a try on the X7... yep, surprisingly, the sound is a bit more full that way.  The X7 is my smallest guitar, but it doesn't sound small.  

I don't know what people who don't play guitar do to occupy their time.


No comments: