Sunday, May 1, 2022

You are healed!

 

I woke up this morning mostly ache-free.  I think I need to get out on the motorcycle.

Lots going on in the area this weekend, with Splash! being the biggest draw.  It is a gay, lesbian, and all those other letters celebration on South Padre Island.  I was out before 8:00, expecting plenty of traffic... the traffic didn't materialize.  It is supposed to be another windy day, so it was nice to be out before the wind built - I enjoyed the view of the turquoise water in the Laguna Madre as I rode across the causeway.  Riding along Gulf Blvd, there were a few people out and about, but mostly quiet.  The hotels, motels, and condos must be full - the parking lots are packed.

I rode up to the Convention Center, thinking I might stop for a photo of the CTX with my favorite whale mural... nope, there must be a dance recital going on as there were throngs of little girls in sparkly outfits and makeup unloading.  I took a pass on stopping for the photo op.  I did go into the empty front parking lot and practiced some low speed maneuvers once again.  The CTX is a different bike from the scooters, so this practice is helpful.

I didn't shoot any photos or videos, as I rode around the island.  I went down to where Pier 19 used to be and rode towards their parking lot... it is blocked off with "No Trespassing" signs.  Back up the island a ways, where a pickup truck running a red light would have taken me out if I hadn't been anticipating it, and made a major swerve.  Apparently, some people think a bit truck entitles them to "turn left on a red light, without even slowing down."  Pretty sure that isn't a thing.  But, people tend to shut off their brains when they get to the island.

Can't let the bastards get you down; you just have to be vigilant when riding.  More incident-free riding, then back across the causeway.  I rode around Port Isabel a bit before heading back to our island. A nice outing; a needed ride.  It's only been a couple days since I got out on the bike, but the after-effects from the shots left me with my ass dragging.  This is just what I needed.

 --------

Oops, I did it again...

Back to the griddle.  Another first for me: Orange Chicken Fried Rice...



As per usual, Joan did the prep, I did the cooking.  She had carrots, garlic, eggs, chicken, and cooked rice ready for me - it all went pretty fast.  I am getting a feel for how long each ingredient is going to take to cook so I can have it all ready at the same time.  This one was easier, 'cause it all gets mixed together in the end.  And, onto the plate...


Joan made the rolls.  Teamwork.  Tasty.


No comments: