Monday, May 9, 2022

That was close...

 

I got out for a motorcycle ride this morning.  When I get home, Joan always wants to know "How was the ride?"  I report what I saw, what businesses have changed, new construction, traffic, people... and whether any stupid drivers created a problem for me.  What I see way to often around here: people blowing through stop signs and red lights.  I saw both this morning - I look before pulling away at a green light to make sure people on the cross street are going to stop.  A guy in a pickup was today's culprit.  No close call, because I expected it.

While riding towards my favorite whale mural at the Convention Center, a woman ran the stop sign.  At the last moment, I saw that she had her head turned away from the front and realized she was going to run the stop sign.  I was already into the intersection - if I stopped, she would have surely run me over.  Instead, I accelerated to get just beyond her... when I say "just," she missed me by maybe two feet.  When she saw me, she looked startled and took both hands off the steering wheel... never hit the brake.  Absolutely not paying attention.

Vigilance is important on two wheels.

Back home, I got out of my motorcycle gear; Joan had a fruit smoothie waiting for me.  I had taken Rufus out for a walk earlier, so he was in relax mode...


The furry boy looks so peaceful.


No comments: