Saturday, May 7, 2022

NGD!

 

For those who aren't guitar players, NGD = New Guitar Day!  Taylor 652ce WHB Builder's Edition 12-string.

The rollercoaster ride is over, the new Taylor 12-string is here!  I had just gotten out of the shower, and when I came into the living room, Joan said, "UPS is on the island"... she is signed up for detailed info with UPS.  This was shortly after 1:00 pm.  I expected it to be a couple hours yet.  At 1:15, she stepped outside and met the UPS truck at our driveway - they usually stop at our house on the way down our street... today, they drove by our house and stopped on the way back up the street.  Just for the fun of it.

Joan opened the front door (I had no idea why she went outside) and said, "Do you want to carry your new guitar in?"

"Yes, I do!"


 When it's cold outside, you have to bring the box inside and let it acclimate for 24 hours or so before opening it in your warm house - it keeps the finish on the guitar from checking (looks like little cracks).  It is warm and humid outside: 84º, 80% humidity.  While it is cooler and dryer in the house, I assume there is no acclimating needed.  Just in case, I did take my time opening the box, pulling the wrapped case out of it, and setting it on the floor.  I took a few minutes to look over the paperwork, and then...


This is the first that I've seen this model in the Builder's Edition in person.  The photos don't do it justice - it has a beautiful Wild Honey Burst on the top, with flamed maple on the back and sides...


The arm bevel and cutaway bevel are some masterful woodworking...



This is my first wood (non-carbon fiber) acoustic guitar in a lot of years.  The fact that this Builder's Edition has all these nice bevels and rounded edges like carbon fiber is the main reason I went with this guitar.  Plus, the Taylor neck and playability... it is set up perfect, right out of the box.  I wasn't sure I was going to like the "Silent Satin" finish (not glossy) on this, but it looks and feels great.

Of course, the big thing: how does it sound?  In a word: lovely.  It has that 12-string "jangle" to it and a rich, warm tone.  It is not a loud guitar, as you'd expect from this smaller body size (Grand Concert).

I tuned it up...


... in the living room; played a bit on it...


Eyes, ears, and fingers satisfied, I took it into the music room and plugged it in - the Taylor ES2 pickup is very nice.  This is going to be a great addition.  Speaking of playing, the neck on a 12-string is wider by necessity than a 6-string; it takes a bit of adjusting to get your fretting hand to press correctly to get a clear tone out of each string.  I only played for an hour or so - my fingertip calluses were soft from being in the shower.  I am going to have to toughen up my fingers to do justice to this sweet guitar.

After 10 years of playing carbon fiber guitars, I really didn't think I would get another wood guitar.  As I mentioned, this one has all the nice ergonomic features that you don't normally find on wood guitars, and I still have some other nice Taylor wood guitars, so it wasn't a leap of faith for the tone, playability, and build quality on this one.  It does feel a bit "delicate" compared to my carbon fiber guitars, but it should share the wall space and playing time nicely with the guitars I already have.

Years ago, after trying a Taylor maple guitar, I said that is one wood I didn't care for - a bit too bright for my tastes.  Andy Powers, the guitar designer at Taylor, has given the 600 Series (maple back and sides) guitars a new voice a few years ago.  A change in the bracing (wood you don't see inside the guitar) has given Taylors with V-bracing nice projection, sustain, and warmth.  This 652 shows that off nicely.  It has a compensated saddle to give it good intonation (how it holds tune up the neck).  Plus, it really is a beautiful guitar.


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Nice and congrats!! I've seen one WHB in person and they are sweet.

I have an unusual setup on my twelve strings. I reverse just the G course, putting the octave string closer to the floor. Since I finger pick primarily, I need that arrangement. The upstroke of my index finger misses the octave string entirely if it sits in the "standard" position of above the wound string, and you can hear that it is missing. I was unaware that Taylor has now gone full reverse on their latest 12's, but I have not looked since my custom Emerald X20-12 arrived in 2017.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. I knew you had something different with the stringing on your X20-12, couldn't recall what it was. As far as I know, the other Taylor 12-strings use the typical acoustic 12-string arrangement, it is just this Builder's Edition that has reversed the strings. I do like how it sounds. That, and the Grand Concert size is so darn comfortable. Even more important: Joan and Rufus like how it sounds. ;-)

Earl49 said...

It is mostly a matter of just swapping the strings in the nut and on the tuner pegs. I have long done this to all my twelve strings, and have never had to modify a nut slot. It doesn't matter when strumming, but for finger picking it does.

I'll have to swing by the LGS at some point and try a reverse strung Taylor twelver soon.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. The saddle on this guitar has compensation unlike what I've seen before, and a notch for each string; not sure you'd be able to just swap the string position. As far as I know, this 652ce Builder's Edition is the only Taylor 12-string that is reverse strung.