Friday, May 6, 2022

Hooligan...

 

Definition: hooligan - a rowdy person who causes trouble for others.  A slightly old-fashioned word for a trouble-maker.

While I didn't cause any trouble for others, I felt like a hooligan this morning.  Why is that, Jim?  Thanks for asking.  Joan made a run to H.E.B. this morning - I got in my usual bicycle ride, took Rufus for a walk, then geared up to get out on the scoots.  First order of business once on the CTX: I took off the top case and strapped a gas can to the rack.  The bridge was out when I was heading off the island to get gas - when it came in, I passed Joan coming on as I was heading off.  I topped off my bike (68 mpg) and the 2-gallon gas can... the weather weasels and newscasters are saying there may be "rolling brown-outs" for electric service due to the extreme hot weather the next 4 or 5 days.  If we lose power and need to run an air conditioner, I need gas for the generator.  Just being prepared.

Here on the coast, the high today is supposed to be in the low 80s... 10 to 15º higher in the Valley.  Hot enough for long enough to put a strain on the electrical grid.  If there are issues in the Valley, our service here at the coast will be interrupted, as well.

I dropped the gas off at home, put the top case back on my bike, and headed out for a ride.  No, I was not a hooligan, and no one caused me any issues.  In fact, the traffic was light.  When I got home with my bike, I took Joan's for a ride; we've been home 12 days, I like to keep the bikes "exercised" (and I set the clock on hers, as well - I have to get the owners manual out each time to do that - the information panel on her bike allows for a lot of different settings).

Her Xmax feels SO different from my CTX.  I used to feel the same way when going from my Vespa to her Yamaha.  My CTX is bigger in every dimension except seat height; and because of that, I feel like I am sitting in my bike, and on hers.  But, the Xmax is light and nimble compared to the CTX... it's that aspect of it that makes me feel like a hooligan... like I should be darting in and out of traffic and being a trouble-maker.  That is not my nature, though... like, Rufus, I am a good boy.  Well, most of the time.

Some observations on riding both bikes:

With the wind down a bit today, I took both bikes out for some riding.  Interesting contrast when riding them one after the other.  Joan's Xmax feels like I'm sitting on it, the CTX feels more like I'm sitting in it.  The 100 pound weight difference is noticeable.  The DCT pulls immediately as you twist the throttle at a stop, where the CVT on the Xmax takes a beat for it to grab.

I did take one section of the ride on the CTX to use it in only Manual mode.  For those who feel "it isn't riding if you aren't doing the shifting," this should cover that.  I may be inclined to give that a try on some of the twisty roads this summer, but both Sport mode and Drive mode do a fine job, with Sport mode holding onto the gear until a higher RPM.  In all these decades of riding, I think I have gotten pretty competent on a bike... I should have learned something along the way.  That said, this DCT pulls away from a stop better than I could; every time.  And the shifts, no matter the mode, are fast and smooth.

And speaking of RPM, the Xmax redlines around 9,000 RPM, the CTX at 6,400.  Both bikes are smooth.  That still fascinates me: Yamaha can make a high revving single cylinder bike feel so smooth and linear with the power delivery.  The CTX motor, with the parallel twin and staggered counterbalanced power pulses, give it some "character," without much vibration.  At "only" 51 hp, some reviewers have knocked on the CTX's performance; where the scooter folks like the power of the Xmax.  At 28 hp/400 pounds on the Xmax vs 51hp/500 pounds on the CTX, you have a hp to weight ratio of .07 vs .10.  We are each satisfied with our bikes.  I have probably said this before, but the CTX with DCT has a lot for a scooter fan to appreciate.  Well, maybe closer to a Burgman 650 (the CTX weighs 100 pounds less).


The 100 pound weight difference is noticeable. The DCT on the CTX pulls immediately as you twist the throttle at a stop, where the CVT on the Xmax takes a beat for it to grab.

I did take one section of the ride on the CTX to use it in only Manual mode. For those who feel "it isn't riding if you aren't doing the shifting," this should cover that. I will give that a try on some of the twisty roads this summer, but both Sport mode and Drive mode do a fine job, with Sport mode holding onto the gear until a higher RPM. In all these decades of riding, I think I have gotten pretty competent on a bike... I should have learned something along the way. That said, this DCT pulls away from a stop better than I could; every time. And the shifts, no matter the mode, are fast and smooth.

And speaking of RPM, the Xmax redlines around 9,000 RPM, the CTX at 6,400. Both bikes are smooth. That still fascinates me: Yamaha can make a high revving single cylinder bike feel so smooth and linear with the power delivery. The CTX motor, with the parallel twin and staggered counterbalanced power pulses, give it some "character," without much vibration. At "only" 51 hp, some reviewers have knocked on the CTX's performance; where the scooter folks like the power of the Xmax. At 28 hp/400 pounds on the Xmax vs 51hp/500 pounds on the CTX, you have a hp to weight ratio of .07 vs .10. We are each satisfied with our bikes. I have probably said this before, but the CTX with DCT has a lot for a scooter fan to appreciate.  Well, maybe the fans of a maxi-scooter like the Burgman 650 or the BMW c650gt.

With the wind down a bit today, I took both bikes out for some riding.  Interesting contrast when riding them one after the other.  Joan's Xmax feels like I'm sitting on it, the CTX feels more like I'm sitting in it.  The 100 pound weight difference is noticeable.  The DCT pulls immediately as you twist the throttle at a stop, where the CVT on the Xmax takes a beat for it to grab.

I did take one section of the ride on the CTX to use it in only Manual mode.  For those who feel "it isn't riding if you aren't doing the shifting," this should cover that.  I may be inclined to give that a try on some of the twisty roads this summer, but both Sport mode and Drive mode do a fine job, with Sport mode holding onto the gear until a higher RPM.  In all these decades of riding, I think I have gotten pretty competent on a bike... I should have learned something along the way.  That said, this DCT pulls away from a stop better than I could; every time.  And the shifts, no matter the mode, are fast and smooth.

And speaking of RPM, the Xmax redlines around 9,000 RPM, the CTX at 6,400.  Both bikes are smooth.  That still fascinates me: Yamaha can make a high revving single cylinder bike feel so smooth and linear with the power delivery.  The CTX motor, with the parallel twin and staggered counterbalanced power pulses, give it some "character," without much vibration.  At "only" 51 hp, some reviewers have knocked on the CTX's performance; where the scooter folks like the power of the Xmax.  At 28 hp/400 pounds on the Xmax vs 51hp/500 pounds on the CTX, you have a hp to weight ratio of .07 vs .10.  We are each satisfied with our bikes.  I have probably said this before, but the CTX with DCT has a lot for a scooter fan to appreciate.  Well, maybe closer to a Burgman 650 (the CTX weighs 100 pounds less).


I did enjoy riding both bikes.  When I got back from my rides, the temperature outside was 82º... with a "feels like" temperature of 97º... did I mention: humid?

First day since we've been home where the wind allowed us to put down our sun screens on the deck.  We strap them up when we aren't here.  When home, we have the option of having them up or down... when the wind is strong, we roll them up.  Nice to have them down, since it cuts the sunlight on our deck by about 80%.  This time of year, the sun is mostly overhead, but it makes a difference when the sun gets low in the western sky.  Mid-afternoon here, the humidity is down (?) to 79%.




No comments: