Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Round Two...

 

I was up at 6:30 this morning.  Working through my morning routine, I had to stop to look at the TV: a severe weather warning for our area.  I looked out the window... it looked relatively calm, but overcast.  Part way through getting Rufus fed, the first gust hit - there is a lawn ornament that Steph bought for Joan that Joan strapped to a brick so we could have it on the patio table... the wind blew that ornament and the brick off the table!  By the time I got out there to secure things, the rain hit.  Coming down heavy and horizontal.

I heard on TV that gusts were peaking at 70 mph.  I believe that.  40 minutes later, the rain has pretty much quit, winds are down to a sustained 26 mph.  When we went to bed last night, the weasels were predicting "a slight chance of a stray thunderstorm."

Here's the radar...


 Yeah, it looks like a re-run of the screen shot I posted yesterday.  On the bright side, this didn't come through in the middle of the night.

Late yesterday afternoon, I duct taped the neighbor's golf cart cover as best I could.  He does not live here fulltime - it is a weekend getaway.  I called him to let him know the cover had ripped and asked if he wanted me to do anything with it.  The cover on his outboard motor was half in the water.  He was grateful for whatever I could do.  With this morning's gust front, that cover is shredded - no amount of duct tape is going to put it back together.  The outboard motor cover held.

The other bright side: only a few claps of thunder.  Rufus is laying beside his Momma.  Storms didn't used to bother him until that hail storm last summer.

--------

Of course, the morning news is full of the Uvalde school shooting.  The death toll is worse than originally reported.  A lot of calls for "something to be done."  The sad fact is the schools will have to be made tougher to enter; metal detectors; armed guards.  70% of school shootings are carried out by someone 18 years old or younger.  "Thoughts, prayers, and moments of silence" aren't enough.  I don't know how to keep guns out of the hands of a determined young person.  Further gun legislation or bans won't stop the black market.  We have created a culture of violence.

--------

I thought I might be able to get out for a bicycle and motorcycle ride this morning.  Either is good for clearing the head.  Not today.


No comments: