Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Around this time last year...


... we were in the same place we are now: Fredericksburg, TX.  We didn't get much scooter riding in last year because it was rainy and chilly.  This year: it is hot (in the 90s) and dry, with a hot wind... also not much fun for riding the scoots.  Today, though, there was some scooter content.

It was a road-trip kinda day, taking the CR-V into Austin.  Now, on the map, Austin doesn't seem very far away... in reality, it is some highway, some secondary roads, lots of traffic, and a couple hours.  We made that drive for several reasons: a scooter recon at AF1 Racing, the Vespa dealer where I got new tires last year.  The just got a BV350 Piaggio scooter, and Joan wanted to look at that.  They also have a "like new"Yamaha Xmax.  I was hoping Joan might want to try on a new Vespa, too.

We had a few other "big city" things to buy, but I really wanted to do lunch at Chick-fil-A.  Sometimes you just have that craving, and there is no Chick-fil-A in the Black Hills.  Yes, I know: all the good eating places in Fredericksburg... well, the heart wants what the heart wants... and the stomach works on that same plan.

After working our way through all the traffic (I could not live with this kind of commute on a daily basis), we rolled up to AF1 Racing...


Nice place, good selection of scooters and motorcycles.  The Xmax was sitting outside...


Inside, we met with Sean the salesman and looked at the BV350 that just came in yesterday...


Swoopy Italian styling; I am not a fan of the green, Joan kinda liked it.  I suggested she take a look at their Vespa selection...


Her butt barely touched the seat, and... "Nope."  She has ridden mine; she doesn't care for it.  I enjoyed looking at the new ones, but I have mine just the way I like it.

The BV hasn't been prepped to ride, but Joan got to "test sit" it.  Sean asked if she'd like to take the Xmax for a ride... yep.  She changed into long pants, put on her helmet and gloves and...


She was quite impressed with the Yamaha; she said, "You should give that a try!"  I put on long pants, helmet and gloves, and went for a shorter ride.  I was impressed, too.

Back inside, Sean gave us some prices.  We didn't leave with anything, but we'll be discussing options.

The other running we needed to do (re-supplying) was all close by and didn't take long.  And then...


Yeah, it was as good as I remembered.  ;-)  Kinda worth the long drive.


No comments: