Monday, September 2, 2019

Laboring...


A holiday weekend to celebrate... labor.  What about those of us who are gainfully unemployed?  We are grateful that there are people out there working, contributing to Social Security and Medicare.  ;-)

As I mentioned in the previous post, it is a hot one today; only the 3rd day since we've been here to get over 90º.  Even though I made the comparison between Black Hills humidity and Tropical Tip humidity, this still feels hot.

So, what do you do on a hot day?  Joan decided to do laundry; a one-person task (other than carrying).  I felt I should do... something.  How about being out in the hot sun, cleaning baked-on squished bugs off the front of the coach?  No, that really doesn't sound like something to do on a holiday.

So, as Joan left to go to the air-conditioned laundry here... there is a large central laundry and each of the bath houses have a small laundry facility; this one is in the club-house, so she can also use the business center there to take care of some paperwork.  I got out my cleaning supplies.  And, pulled some sleeves and a neck gator out of the bike to keep me from getting fried.

I have a "bug sponge" - it is not for giving bugs a sponge-bath... it has enough texture to it that is helps in scrubbing stubborn bug splat off shiny surfaces.  I have said this before, but I think paint manufacturers should use bug guts in their paint - that crap doesn't wanna come off.  In spite of the heat, I went after it...


If you were working so hard and Joan was at the laundry, who took the photo?  Thank you for asking.  Rufus has shown some interest in the photographic arts, but he did say, "Hey, it's hot out here!  Look like you're actually doing something so I can get the shot and go back inside and finish my nap."  He naps a lot, so I don't know how he knows when he's done.  But, I digress.

Back to the labor at hand.  A couple weeks ago, Joan cleaned the passenger side where the body and cab meet and the chrome mirror on that side.  My goal today: clean that same area on the driver's side AND the grill.  I have cleaned this coach many times since we've owned it, but the front seems to attract suicidal bugs.  I assume they are distraught over having gotten to be the size of a Canada Goose, gorge themselves one last time, then explode with their guts clinging to the flat grill of this motorhome.  It's just a theory, but the look of the grill after a day's drive is proof enough to me.

My fingers are worn to the nub, and I'm not even sure where the nub is on your fingers.  But, the front of this coach is as clean as when it was new... OK, probably cleaner because that dealer wasn't the best we've seen with service.  Digressing again, but here's a look...



What about the rest of the coach, you ask?  Seriously, give it a rest.  The vertical sides of this motorhome do not collect squished bugs like the areas I described.  I can clean that in a couple hours with a long-handle device made for cleaning RVs and airplanes; you don't have to scrub the sides and back by hand... repeatedly... to get it looking shiny; the pretty paint on the exterior stays pretty sharp looking (as long as you don't drive through rain).

That's enough labor for a while.  Doing this one section at a time, we may have to extend our time here to get through the whole thing.  ;-)




No comments: