Saturday, September 28, 2019

Preppers...


Last year when we were in this area, we took the scoots out on some back roads and wound up passing by some "interesting" places... like a place offering "survival training" and another place that was selling "after the shit hits the fan supplies."  Preppers.

Today, we were preppers, but not that kind.  It was time to find out if Joan's new scoot would fit in the cargo trailer.  I was concerned that I would have to remove the rear rack that holds the large top case, and is bolted to the frame.  I knew that would be a job.

But, before doing that, I asked Joan if she wanted to take the scoots for a ride before the heat of the day... "No, I need a day off from riding, but I would appreciate it if you would take mine out and give it a good shake-down."

Umm... OK.  I guess I better learn how to start it, since it is quite a bit more "whiz-bang" than my Vespa.  ;-)

My first impression when putting my butt on the seat: this thing is big.  Yes, that is perspective.  We have owned full-dress touring bikes, but the last few years have been on small scooters.  But, the windshield is over arm's length away, while the one on my Vespa is much closer.  The Yamaha is wider.  Longer.  Heavier.  I can see why Joan was saying this will take some adjusting after her PCX.  I went through the same thing when going from the PCX to the Vespa.  This Xmax is another step forward in mass.

I started the bike up and rolled off by myself.  I rode through town (Fredericksburg is hoppin' on a Saturday morning) and got out where the speed limits increase... with the speed limit being 70, I fit right in doing an indicated 80 mph.  I'll have to put a GPS on it to check out the speedometer; my Vespa is quite a bit optimistic (more than 10%).

Good wind protection with the windshield and front fairing.  I moved my free hand around to check the air-flow... nice design.  I turned off on a side road where I could try out the ABS brakes: yep, they haul the bike right down.  A U-turn in a single lane; plenty nimble.  Some roll-on acceleration tests - even at 60 mph, you feel it when you open the throttle.  No idea what the top end is on this thing, but it felt decent at 80 mph.

Back to the highway and heading for town, the speed limit dropped from 70 to 55.  As I slowed down, an SUV came up behind me.  Fast.  Then passed me on the right... on the shoulder.  I figured: just another aggressive Texas driver, but this had Mexican plates.  The dumbass got caught at a red light in town and I pulled up alongside them... I motioned for the passenger to roll down the window... a smiling lady who looked to be in her 30s; the driver looked at me (he wasn't smiling) and I said, "Here in the United States, it is illegal to pass on the shoulder."  He nodded, but I am pretty sure he had no idea what I was saying.  It isn't just Texas drivers.

Back home, I gave Joan a rundown on what I thought of the bike: short version - it is great.

We took the owners manual out to the bike and started learning about the dash display: average fuel burn, trip meters for miles and hours, maintenance stuff like miles to go for the next oil change, outside air temperature, and a few other things I am sure I am forgetting.  The keyless ignition is something different for us, so a learning curve there, too.

And then... the decision that we were probably done riding while we're here and time to see how everything will fit in the cargo trailer.  I had moved the adjustable chocks forward as far as they will go (without rebolting through the floor).  I had originally set up the cargo trailer for the V-Strom I had at the time; long wheelbase on that bike, so I was hopeful that the Xmax would go on that side and then I'd put the Vespa where the PCX used to ride.

With the top case off, the Xmax fits; there is a long rack on the back of that bike with the top case off.  Neither bike will fit in there with the top case on, but those come off with the push of a button.  Not only is the Xmax bigger physically than the Vespa, the top case on it is considerably larger than the Vespa's.  In fact, the two top cases are made by the same manufacturer - they even have the same mounting mechanism.  Lo and behold, the smaller case will fit on the Yamaha, even with the ramp door closed.  We strapped down both bikes...


They fit!  You can tell the size difference between the Xmax on the left and my Vespa on the right.  The Xmax is chocked with the front tire almost a foot further forward than the Vespa, as well... trying to leave some room at the side door to get in and out of the trailer.

With that task done, when we are ready to head out of here on Monday morning, it will just be the usual utilities to put away and coach>SUV>cargo trailer to hook up.  We'll have time to go out and tourist about with the car tomorrow.

We have our heads into getting home.  I knew that time would come.  This has been a great summer out.  :-)


No comments: