Sunday, September 15, 2019

Work and play...


Joan wanted to do some work - clean the car and start on the coach.  I asked, "What do you have for me to do?"

She said, "Nothing right now - go for a ride, if you feel like it."

If I feel like it?  Yeah, I always feel like it... especially as our time here is coming to an end.  I asked, "Is it OK if I take your scoot?"

"Of course."

It has been quite a while since I've taken any kind of a ride on the PCX, other than when I've done maintenance on them, and this is just a short ride to make sure everything is good with it.

I geared up and...


I have been quite happy with my Vespa... but, I was really happy with the PCX before that.  Today, I really discovered some differences: power is a big one - the Vespa has about 40% more horsepower and you feel that difference when you crack open the throttle.  The PCX weighs less, which helps it keep up.  I also have an increased appreciation for Joan's riding talent: her handling of that scoot helps make up for the horsepower difference.  The Vespa tops the PCX's top speed by more than 10 mph.

The ride is another difference: the Vespa is heavier and a bit more plush with the ride.  It also feels more planted at highway speed (some good crosswinds today to get a feel for how the PCX handles that).  The seat on the PCX made me feel the pressure points on my hindend... the Vespa seat (especially thanks to the Corbin seat I have on mine) is definitely more comfortable.  One of the firsr things we did to the PCXes was put a larger windscreen on each of them - it isn't as tall as the windshield (and Laminar Lip) I have on the Vespa... you get more wind on the Honda.  Which makes for more noise at your helmet.  My Nolan helmet has 4 vents on it, and with all 4 open, the noise was significantly louder on the PCX.  The wind protection behind that "classic" body on the Vespa also gives more protection than the more contemporary styled PCX

Places where the PCX excels: it is sportier feeling.  Bike riders call that "flickable."  You'd think the smaller diameter wheels on the Vespa would make that less stable, but that is not the case.  Native storage: the under-seat storage on the PCX is bigger than the larger-body Vespa.  Fuel economy: it is rare to get less than 100 mpg on the PCX (I don't think Joan ever has), where the Vespa is generally in that 75 to 80 mpg range... more here in the Black Hills, and no, I don't understand why the mileage is better here.

I took the PCX on the highway, in town, and away from town on the twisties we frequent.  I wanted to get a photo for the Scooter Tag game on my favorite scooter forum...



Your scoot at Scooters (a coffee place).  ;-)

When I got home, Joan had the floor mats out of the CR-V, to clean and vacuum them.  The dash was so clean it looks like new.  She also cleaned windows on the coach.  I got out my cleaning supplies and spruced up the exterior... the Aspect is looking good.  In a few days, we'll head south and smash a million or so bugs with the front end of it.  Kinda reminds one of fertilizing a lawn: its just going to need to be mowed sooner.  ;-)

With the work done, we went out for a sandwich (and ice cream).  We talked about what all needs to get done before we're ready to roll.  We're planning another scooter ride tomorrow, but we do have our heads into hitting the road.  It's time.


No comments: