Tuesday, August 17, 2021

I tried...

 

To get us a site in the main part of the resort for our "9 days out," instead of going to Purgatory Flats (aka: the Meadowlands).  I was at the door a few minutes before the office opened.  I tried the door... nope, it's locked.  Damn, they saw me pull that door 3 minutes early - probably shoots any chance of getting a site up on top.

Yep.  The lady at the registration desk, looked on her computer, but nothing is available for the 9 days.  Not a big deal, just thought I'd give it a try.  We have been able to do this in years past, but this is an unusual year.  Since the Rally wound down, there are some empty sites currently.  The site we go into tomorrow is off to the side and should be better for noise, dust, and people walking through the site.

With that attempt done, I came home and geared up to take the scoot for a ride before the heat of the day really kicked in.  It was before 9:00 that I headed out.  The roads were blissfully unencumbered with traffic.  Once on Iron Mountain Road, I passed maybe 10 cars and a dozen motorcycles going the other way... and most of the people on the bikes waved back.  I got behind one pickup truck that entire stretch, starting at one of the splits on IMR and was stuck behind it for a few minutes, when just before one of the pigtails, they pulled over to let me around.  Good to get out from that diesel exhaust.

The ride was a delight!  Temps were cool enough (until I got back on Neck Yoke Road) that I didn't break a sweat.  A couple photos along the way...


That first photo was done with my "Pocket Tripod", a little device that holds my phone.  I did not take a video camera along on this ride... just out for fun.

When I got home, Joan told me that the new helmet I had ordered was delivered... yes, this is the second one; a different brand and size.  And, it seems to fit pretty decent...


I wore it inside for an hour or so; fed Rufus lunch and dried the dishes while wearing it.  It did not leave any marks on my forehead, and generally feels pretty comfortable.  I'll "test wear it" some more, but it looks like this one will be a keeper.  (Schuberth C3 Pro)

Not even 1:00 and it is 97º - we're going to head out with the CR-V for a ride in air conditioned comfort.

--------

Touristing...

As planned, we went out and about for the afternoon.  We haven't been to Deadwood this summer, so the plan was for a "drive-thru"... we'll go up again some time and walk around, when it is cooler.  We stopped for gas in Sturgis on the way; it's always kinda sad to see what Sturgis looks like right after the Rally.  In another week or so, it will be back to normal, but right now there are still plenty of shops in the "deconstruction" stage.

Boulder Canyon, between Sturgis and Deadwood is looking good.  We lived in the canyon before moving to Spearfish, so it is fun to see the changes.  Deadwood had plenty of people on the sidewalks - judging by the age and name tags, the bus tours are rolling in.  Up to Lead for a look-around (not a lot of changes since we were through there last year), then back to Highway 385 south to Rimrock Highway, and into Rapid City.  With the thermometer topping out at 102º, it was a good time to stop for ice cream before heading back to the coach.

Rufus had obviously been sleeping while we were gone, but he was happy to see us, and vice versa.  Probably not going to be any patio time this evening because it is supposed to stay hot well into the evening.

No comments: