Thursday, August 26, 2021

Oh, HAIL...

 

Last summer was ugly, with 5 hail storms in 8 days.  This evening, we had a hail storm that made those look like they were just kidding.  The motorhome has between 25 and 40 holes in the roof.  The opening skylite up front is busted out.  The skylite over the shower is busted out, water was coming out of some of our light fixtures.  The pounding sound was horrendous.  It hailed baseball size hail on us for about a half hour.  The Honda is beat to a pulp - the sunroof is gone, windshield is shattered, the interior is soaked.  The interior workings of the powered TV antenna fell out of the ceiling, along with pieces of lighting fixtures.  The cargo trailer already had some hail dings - that is nothing compared to how it is now.

Pretty sure the Honda is not driveable, since you can't see through the windshield.  We can't even go into town to get tarps to cover the roof of the motorhome.  We put garbage bags over the busted out skylites, but that is temporary.  Tomorrow, I will get up on the roof and see what I can patch.  I am assuming the motorhome is totaled.  No question about the Honda.

Poor Rufus was scared shitless, and we were close behind.  Joan and I were holding towels over the busted skylites to slow down the water intrusion.

I got out on the ladder to check the roof.  A few other people were venturing out of their rigs.  What a mess.

 

 

4 comments:

Jeff Collingwood said...

I am so sorry to hear this. We had hail here in Montana also, but not bad. I hope in the end you find it is repairable by insurance as it will really get bad if you have to get a new coach. This is a year you will always remember.
...Jeff...

Bob said...

Jim, no joking here. Even replacing stuff with insurance is a hassle. I am not sold on all climate change stories but you have been in this area many times over many years and never saw this kind of series of events. Perhaps a tougher "lid" over the next RV home if they total the rig. Tell Rufus he will be OK, he is a TOUGH CAT! Thinking of you today and stay safe.
Bob Jarrard

Earl49 said...

So sorry to hear of this - what a way to ruin a nice summer vacation. I grew up in the mid west an have encountered large hail. The campgrounds may need to invest in carport overheads for the rigs to shelter under, but it is too late for that right now. Here in Boise we get a few bouts of thunderstorm hail each spring, but I've never seen anything larger than about 5/8". During my my childhood in Michigan. I recall taking shelter below an overpass once. All the cars that could not fit under it had all their glass busted out by baseball sized hail stones, and sheet metal looked like dimpled golf balls afterward.

Glad to hear that you, Joan, and Rufus are OK id shaken. This won't be fun to dig out from, but you are all physically OK and that is the important thing. "Stuff" can be repaired or replaced.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Jeff, Bob, and Earl. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have filed insurance claims on the motorhome and car; I got on the roof of the motorhome this morning to cover the holes in the fiberglass with duct tape. I will do a more substantial repair when it has dried out. I have an appointment with the Winnebago factory to replace the roof... December in Iowa. Big fun. We drove the car into town to get some repair supplies and a couple tarps. What I did on the roof today was temporary at best, in case of more rain... the car is a mess: windshield shattered, sunroof gone, beat to a pulp. We have an appointment to get the windshield replaced on Tuesday, just so it will be driveable. Dealing with the insurance (Progressive) is like walking through glue - slow and a pain in the ass. We'll do what we need to do. Rufus has been right at my side whenever I am in the motorhome... I think he and I need to take a nap.

Best wishes,
Jim