Sunday, August 1, 2021

Blood letting...

 

I took Rufus for an evening walk around 8:00 last night.  As usual, there were a couple big dogs in the dog run behind our site.  Ruf, being Ruf, wanted to go that way.  Generally, I steer him away from the entrance to that fenced area, and we walk around the outside of it.  If the dogs inside seem friendly, I let him go up to the fence; if they aren't friendly, I steer him well away.  We didn't get to that decision.

A dog that looked to be about 50 pound threw himself against the gate, and it blew open.  Of course, the dog went right for Rufus, snarling.  Instinctively, I stepped between them.  I reached down to pick Rufus up, and the dog went around me, coming face to face with Rufus.  Rufus went into full attack mode: the claws came out like switchblades, and his mouth was all fangs.  The dog lunged, Rufus, now raised up on his back feet, ripped a claw across his nose.  That dog rolled back.  The other dog that was in the run came charging out.  Barking and hissing ensued.  When one owner got control of the second dog, Rufus saw his chance to exit this fight and took off running.

I let out his leash, but he was faster than me - when Rufus hit the end of the leash, he busted out of it, still at full run.  The first dog was now chasing after him.  Ruf went into the closest site (next to ours), and turned, in full fury fight mode.  I have never seen him like this.  I reached down to pick him up and he swung at me.  I reached again... and felt those claws sink into the skin on my neck.  Next thing I know, I am dripping blood.  Enough blood that I thought he might have sunk into my jugular.  I tried to pull him off, and felt my skin being pulled.  The guy with the first dog saw what was happening and said, "Are you alright?"

Dripping blood, I said, "I need some help here."  The guy left.

Between the shock of it, the pain, and the weight of Rufus on my neck/throat, I was bent over.  Holding his weight with my right arm, I used my left hand to pry his claws out of my neck.  I could see blood on the ground and all over my left hand.  A short distance to our coach, and I got him inside.  Joan was in the shower when I called out, "I need some help here!"

It was the first I could see what was happening to me, looking in the bathroom mirror: my neck had several long scratches and puncture wounds, but it wasn't blood pouring out of my throat - most of the blood seemed to be coming from my ear lobe which looked like a botched piercing.  Joan handed me a wet wash cloth, and I sat down on the toilet, my hands shaking.  Looking at the shaking, she said, "Are you going into shock?"

"I don't think so - adrenaline overload!"  I wrung blood out of the wash cloth.  Rufus came in, looking terrified.

Joan asked, "Is he OK?"

"I don't think he got bit, but he may have lost a fang!"  Rufus wasn't going to let anyone look that close right now.  Joan got out first aid supplies and started cleaning me up.  After putting alcohol and an antiseptic liquid on my neck and ear, she turned to my left hand... a gash on top and a bunch of smaller cuts... not sure what happened, but my fingers all felt bruised and hurt more than my neck.

When all of us settled down a bit, Joan asked, "Do we need to take you to the Emergency Room?"

"I don't think so."

"If anything looks bad in the morning, we are going."

"No argument from me."

She wrapped my neck in gauze and taped it.  Too tight, I couldn't breathe, too loose and it wouldn't stay in place.  So, that's fun.  She took off the gauze and I went to bed... after feeding Rufus, who was still pretty shook up.

Sunday morning analyzing: it wasn't Rufus's fault.  He didn't start the fight, and certainly wasn't looking for a fight.  When lunged at, he reacted with instinct.  Do not underestimate the fury of a 16 pound cat in defense of its life.  Joan made a new rule: no going anywhere near the dog run when there are dogs in it.  I made a new rule: when Rufus is highly agitated, don't try to pick him up.  My neck is roughed up and I'm not going to be playing guitar for a while, with my left hand bruised and cut.  Rufus seems fine, although he puffed up when looking out the door this morning and a guy with a Yorkie walked by on the road... I don't think we'll let him get up close and personal with any dogs for a while.

Not sure about going out in public with me for a while.  You know how people look at the guy when a couple is out in public and the woman has a black eye?  I don't want Joan to get eye-balled like that if people see the gouges on my neck.  ;-)


6 comments:

Bob said...

Jim, you make lite of all this but I read the stress in your words. I have often told the wife that our Chihuahua can bust out of her harness anytime she wants. We had a two big dog over 50 pounds each attack her a few days ago. She has been bit twice and bad both times, so now she is a bully - hates big dogs and goes for the fight without taking a breath, guess it is better for her to go down swinging that to be big dog food. Hope that Rufus does not go that route, he is a good cat and treats dogs with respect. Listen to Nurse Joan and I hope the cat scratches do not act up, the really big wild cats leave nasty bugs in wounds. Thinking of you this AM and will watch for the next post.

Earl49 said...

Sorry to hear this tale. Lest any of us ever doubt that our feline friends are truly domesticated, the wild puma is not buried deep and comes out when needed. A simple house cat turns into a frenzied chain saw when provoked, and it is not wise to wrestle with a chain saw. We hope that you and Rufus are both OK soon except for maybe being shaken up a bit. Watch the wounds for signs of infection. That is not good for anyone with artificial joints (like me). Scratches are less of an issue than an actual puncture wound. Fingers crossed for all of you.

Our Buddy came to us with notches in one ear, and he REALLY hates all dogs. We presume that he had a bad encounter or two in his youth before we adopted him. We try to minimize his stress by taking him to a local cats-only vet practice.

Jeff Collingwood said...

Yep, my cat who has no claws front or back, when confronted, will attack a dog. So far the dog has always run away as fast as he can with my Chip chasing him until about 100 feet away. Don't know what will happen if he ever chases a dog who stands his ground. Chip is not allowed outside, but he spends his entire life figuring out ways of escaping. If the dog is friendly, Chip will not attach, but just ignore them.

I'm glad your injuries were not worse. If it had been me I would have panicked because I have this thing about the sight of blood. Normally when you end a story about Rufus you end with "he is a good boy". But not this time. I know it was not his fault.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bob and Earl. I am mending. Not sure what happened to my left hand in the fracas, but it seems to have gotten bruised up as well as poked. Alcohol (the wipe on kind, rather than the drinking kind) and Neosporin. The deepest punctures are on my neck. We kept Rufus inside yesterday - he puffed up when he saw dogs being walked, while looking out the door. We'll go easy with the walks, stay on the patio more. Too bad, because Rufus has always been very friendly with dogs. He enjoys the walks, so we'll start back slowly with that. Ruf did not get bit, but not from lack of trying on the dog's part.

Molly and Izzy would let me pick them up if dogs got unfriendly. Rufus wasn't having any of that.

Earl49 said...

Watch out for Neosporin. It is fine for the initial treatment but after the first day the neomycin in it actually hinders optimal healing. Nurses in the wound clinic recommend using Bacitracin instead (that's how I know). It is commonly available in most chain drugstores.

Glad to hear that Rufus was unhurt. Hopefully he will calm down again about dogs given some time, but he may always be wary going forward - near death experiences are like that. He IS a good boy and this surely wasn't his fault. He was suffering from adrenaline overload.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Jeff and Earl - yes, Rufus is still a good boy. He has stayed by my side in the aftermath. I absolutely do not blame him for what happened - he and I were both in adrenaline overload. The two dogs were big. I shudder to think what might have happened if they had come at him at the same time.

I'll check into Bacitracin. So far, all the gouges and scratches have scabbed over and no unusual redness. I'm doing my best to keep it all clean. If necessary, I carry a round of Zithro.

Jim