Saturday, August 14, 2021

Taking a step back...

 

I had a plan for today, and it didn't involve riding.  Well, I did ride my e-bike (bicycle) this morning, but that's to keep these old joints from getting stiff.

The weasels were predicting a hot one today, with a high around 90º.  Knowing I'd get a Sturgis ride in Thursday or Friday, I planned today to be coach washing day.  Along with the heat, the wind really kicked up.  It made for "planning ahead" to get the wind to work with you and not get soaked... with 4 distinct sides on the motorhome, at some point you are going to be "into the wind."  While I do need a shower now, I'd rather do it inside, nekkid, with soap and warm water.

If I do say so myself, the Aspect looks pretty good.  Joan did not critique my wash job, but apparently I misspoke when I said, "I put the stuff back on the patio."  I had to move all the chairs and tables so they wouldn't get soaked during the washing.  Being a guy, I was pretty proud of myself that I put it all back.

Coming back in from outside, she said, "You would not make a good burglar."

"OK."  I've done a lot of things over the years, but being a burglar was never a skill that I developed.  I assumed she'd go on.

She did: "You said you 'put stuff back,' but you didn't put it back where it was."  I put it back where it made sense to me.  You'd think I'd be smart enough to just apologize and move on.  You'd be wrong.

There are two things I don't like: being told what to do, and having what I did critiqued.  She didn't tell me to wash the coach - the outside is "my part."  She didn't even critique the wash job.  She continued, "If you were a burglar, your crime would be obvious, since you didn't put everything back the way it was."

Nope, can't keep my mouth shut... "Yeah, because that's what burglars do: after ransacking your house, they go through and pick up the mess, vacuum, wash the windows, change the sheets, and fluff the pillows."  She didn't know whether to be mad or laugh... I frequently elicit either.  It's my super-power.  Sadly, I am not able to control it, so I can't always predict which way that tree will fall.

My crime: I didn't put the chairs back in the exact same places and "the table is too close to the door."

In the words of the philosopher Steve Martin: "Well, excuuuuuuuuuse me."  I had no idea we had fixed places for all that stuff... it seems to move around, depending on the sun, what direction we want to view, and the wind.

I sat down to give my aching back a rest and cool off.  Apparently, women all stick together: Mother Nature thought it would be funny to sprinkle for about 14 seconds.

I can't win.

--------

Two hours later, Mother Nature is getting ramped up.  Joan made a run into town to get pizza; when she got back, she said the sky was looking ugly.  Checking The Weather Channel, they didn't know anything about that.  A few minutes later: rain, gusting winds.  We started up the coach and pulled the slides in.  Now, The Weather Channel is calling for a severe thunderstorm warning, lasting until 3:45.  The rain is coming down and the sky to the west of us doesn't look friendly at all.  It's moving this way.  It is about 15º cooler in Rapid City (about 5 miles north of us) than here.  We're as hunkered down as we can be with short notice.

--------

We were fortunate.  There was hail north of us and southwest of us; Rockerville, which is about 6 miles from us had golf ball size hail that damaged vehicles there.  Just rain here.


No comments: