Thursday, August 5, 2021

No good deed goes unpunished...

 

Not me.  The new helmet came in this afternoon - it is gorgeous!  Light weight.  Nice feeling interior/lining.  Everything seems to be 1st class on it.  Except... it is too tight.  The strap cuts into my Adam's apple, and I don't have a big Adam's apple.  The sales guy said to "wear it for 30 minutes, take it off for 10, and wear it again for 30 - that should give you an idea if there are any tight spots."  After 15 minutes, I had a headache; took the helmet off and my forehead looks like a Klingon.


 

This was my first try at ordering a helmet online, and I don't think I'll go for a second time.  Yeah, it's going to go back.

Other parts of the day were much better: we went to Black Hills Burger and Bun Co (in Custer) for lunch; our first time this year.  Still the best darn burger ever.  Cheese curds that almost melt in your mouth.

From there, we went to Hill City; Joan wanted to go into The Handbag Shop.  She got a nice leather purse-lette (I don't know what you call a really small purse) to use when on her scoot.  She now wants something just a bit bigger.  This place has a great selection of nice stuff (so I am told).  While she was in there shopping, I sat outside and watched the people and bikes go by...

Hill City is a popular stop for folks coming for the Sturgis Rally.  Last year they blocked off Main Street for "Motorcycle Only" parking, and I assume they'll do that again.  As it was, lots of bikes parked on both sides of the street. 

And, the really sweet part of the day: Joan asked if we could stop at the new candy shop on Highway 16.  "Absolutely - it is close to our turn off for Hart Ranch."  A very nice building, it originally housed "The Founding Fathers," I assume a museum of sorts for our Presidents and... Founding Fathers (duh).  We rarely saw any cars in front of it, and this year, it is the home of Rushmore Candy Company... yep, a large candy shop.



Impressively large for a candy shop.  Sugar-hyped kids all over, and some worn out looking parents.  We had fun looking around...

A wall of popcorn flavors (above), and nostalgia from our youth (home of Twin Bing)...

Krispy Kreme flavored Jelly Bellys...

Bins and bins of taffy...

The decor above...

 
And what kid wouldn't want a bag of Bull Crap, Buffalo Chips, or Coyote Poop?


We did not leave empty-handed.  Joan got some caramel popcorn and a couple fancy chocolate-covered caramels; I brought home a chocolate-covered Twinkie... haven't tried 'em, yet.

The helmet was delivered after we got back to the motorhome.  A disappointment, but not a big problem - my current helmet still fits and functions fine.  I will continue looking for a modular (flip-up)... in person.  Not going to make it "a project."



No comments: