Monday, August 30, 2021

Looking up...

 

Not talking about the outlook... back up the ladder and on the roof again this morning.  I was hoping for a no-wind day so I could spray some FlexSeal (yes, we are using the entire line of Flex-stuff) on a couple places where roof sealant was busted away.  I put that off previously, because it was windy.  It's still windy, but the forecast for this afternoon is: chance of thunderstorms, strong wind, hail is possible, and a tornado risk.

Windy or not, I needed to get back up there and get that FlexSeal sprayed.  Joan was concerned about overspray getting on the paint.  I was a bit more concerned about slipping off the wet roof and breaking my neck.  I could reach most of it while standing on the ladder, but I had to climb on the roof to get the rest.  With the dew, it was like a skating rink... it gave me a chance to entertain the neighbors with a lutz and a double axle.  Yes, I'm kidding - I have no idea what those things are.  Most of my maneuvers were in the "Oh, shit!" category.  I would have scored a perfect 10 if not for that asshole Russian judge.

I have had concerns about water leaking around the skylite over the shower where the base of it is completely broken away.  More FlexTape, making a mound.  My confidence level has increased from 80% to 92% that it will hold.  I have learned these percentages from the weather weasels, so I would not be placing any bets on it.  I'm not sure what the weight capacity of the roof might be, but I am thinking we are getting close, with the amount of Gorilla Tape and Flex-stuff up there.

Still waiting to hear from Progressive about when an adjuster will be out to assess the damages.  SafeLite is supposed to be here tomorrow for a windshield for the Honda - the time is narrowed down to "somewhere between 8:00am and 5:00pm."  Putting a $400 windshield on a car that is now worth $1.97.

--------

I was hoping to not have to test all the Gorilla Tape, FlexTape, and FlexSeal patches we've made over the past few days.  

We drove into Rapid for a quick lunch and a few groceries.  When we came out, the sky was looking ugly to the west.  No weather alerts.  Shortly after we got back to the coach, the first of the alerts: Severe Thunderstorm Warning, including reported pingpong ball size hail; looks to be coming right at us.  Again.  We put away the stuff on our patio and pulled in the slides.  Not much else we can do.  The TV is doing that warning alarm... yeah, we know.

I did take Rufus out for a walk, since it may be a few hours before we can get out again.


 "Um... Dad, did you see that sky?"

"Yeah, buddy, that doesn't look pretty."

The furry boy is pretty intuitive: he knows when we pull the slides in and we aren't moving, something is up and that something isn't good.

When Ruf and I got back from the walk, we got a call from the guy who will be doing our insurance inspection/adjusting/whatever.  We are scheduled for late Wednesday morning.  Finally.  I just want to get through the waiting on other people.  Yes, I know, everyone here at Hart Ranch is waiting.  The adjuster said, "Everyone wants this done yesterday," and seemed relieved when I said, "Wednesday is fine."

Speaking of waiting, the Thunderstorm Warning has been changed to a Thunderstorm Watch.  No further mention of hail.  We have heard the rumble of thunder to the northwest, but haven't seen any lightning, yet.  We are keeping an eye that direction.  Just a bit gun-shy.



No comments: