Sunday, August 15, 2021

If I have to explain...

 

... you wouldn't understand.  It's from a Harley t-shirt many years ago.

Some discussion about my recent videos on one of the scooter forums.  A couple comments about not wanting to ride with a group.  While some folks do show up to Sturgis riding in a group, that isn't the same thing as "a group ride."  More discussion about the huge crowds and "the purpose" of the videos.

My response...

Just doing my part to show a slice of life on two wheels. When I post a video, folks can get an idea of what Main Street in Sturgis actually looks/sounds like. It can be as crowded as you want to be involved in, or you can still find great roads to ride that are relatively uncluttered with traffic.

How is that possible with an extra 800,000 people (roughly the population of the entire state of South Dakota) in the Black Hills area? Thanks for asking; the main roads, like: to Mt Rushmore, Iron Mountain Road, anywhere in Custer State Park, Boulder Canyon Highway to Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon are publicized as being "scenic"... but there are some delightful, twisty back roads that are just as entertaining, and less known.

That ride down the Main Street of Sturgis during the Rally is alive with energy. You can just ride through and take it in, or stop, park, and wander around. While the majority of retail is done in t-shirts, there is everything imaginable for your two-wheel conveyance (granted, most of it revolves around Harleys). Three years ago, I stopped at the Corbin display right before the Rally started, placed and paid for a new seat to be built for my GTS, and the timing was such that I had it 4 days later. From California. Timing. Two years ago, the Nolan helmet I was looking for was being sold by Nolan inside the gigantic Harley dealer.

I have sometimes called it "the world's biggest motorcycle stuff sales event." Music concerts. "Fair" food. And some of the most interesting people-watching to be had. (understatement) If you don't like crowds, it may not be the place for you, but I can go there for the day, then go back the 40 miles or so to the very nice, upscale RV resort where we are staying, and have space and relative quiet. Staying at the Buffalo Chip campground wouldn't be my thing, but it is an annual event for many thousands of people (reported 120,000 people at the Kid Rock concert there, and that entry included camping, if you wanted).

Having lived in the Black Hills for almost 30 years, we saw it grow from 30,000 or so that was common back then to the half million+ of the last 30 years.

Like others have related on this thread, I'm not a big fan of group rides. One day, I'd like to go to an AmeriVespa if the timing/location works, but not to ride with a bunch of others. Over the 50+ years of riding we've done, we've been to a lot of rallies, and done a fair share of group rides; these days, I'm most happy with my Honey and me and a picnic lunch.

I shoot the videos for my own entertainment. Anyone who has done video work can attest that even a small video like I've posted here is a lot of work... certainly more time cutting and editing than shooting. I post them in a couple places, hoping folks will enjoy "the ride" (I generally try to make these scooter videos from the rider's perspective). While I make them "public" so they can be seen here, I'm not promoting anything nor trying to monetize things. I used to shoot photos for the "memory insurance," but these videos tell more of a story.

I love to ride. I was a professional photographer before retiring first time around. Photos and videos are still a part of what I enjoy. I wish 360 video had been a thing during my second career as a boat captain; but I do have many photos and great memories.

I appreciate the comments. Consider this "show & tell" for my childish side. Also to show that riding any brand motorcycle/scooter conveyance gives you that "in the wind" feeling. I'm sure many of you have friends/family who think you are crazy (or have a "death wish") to be out riding your Vespa... like the t-shirt says: If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Jim


2 comments:

BiloxiBeau said...

nice write up Jim. i started riding (dirt bikes) when I was seven. love riding, still riding today at 56 years young-----not a big fan of riding in a group. usually just the wife and I. i enjoy your writing style, videos, pictures, and especially the perspective.

cbrat Bob

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. Riding motorcycles has been a passion since I was 14. There has been some ebb and flow with that over the years, but getting those scoots in 2013 really reinvigorated that passion.

My association with the C-Brats and C-Dorys started before we retired and was a strong incentive to get retired and enjoy some boat cruising. Two fun lifestyles that keep a person active.

Enjoy!

Best wishes,
Jim