Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Smells like fall...

 

According to the calendar, autumn doesn't start until the autumnal equinox is September 22nd this year.  According to the meteorological calendar, it starts September 1st.  It is going to be close to 90º here today, so other than a cool start to the morning, it doesn't feel like fall.  With all the leaves that we beat off the trees from the hail storm, there are raked piles everywhere here, starting to dry, and they smell like... well, dry leaves... which to my olfactory sense, smells like fall.

I got out on my bicycle this morning, first time since the hail storm.  The bike and the little e-scooter were outside when the hail hit; both seemed to have come through it OK, although it completely shredded the bike cover I used over them.  You can't help but look around while riding a bike - so much obvious damage, along with RVs/cars that have come in since the hail storm, looking fine.

I had a bit of recon in mind while riding: not sure what's going to go down with the CR-V, since it will obviously be considered totaled by the insurance company.  There seem to be fewer vehicles these days that are towable "4 wheels down"... that stopped with the 2014 CR-V.  So, I looked around at what people are towing behind their motorhome.  A lot of Jeeps, the squared off Wrangle types and some Cherokees.  We used to tow a Grand Cherokee behind our last big coach back in the day, but I was looking to keep the weight light in selecting the CR-V.  A couple Chevy Equinoxes (Equini?).  And not much else.

If Hart Ranch is any indication of the rest of the RVing world, 5th wheels and travel trailers far outnumber motorhomes.  We still need to get through the damages assessment on the motorhome to find out what our situation will be with that.

This is not a good time to be buying a car/truck or RV, with demand high and inventory low.  I spoke with a friend we've made here over the last few years who leaves a nice 5th wheel in storage here, and drives a motorhome back and forth from Arizona.  Yes, both their rigs are roof damaged.  That really sucks.

On the bright side, my new friend Tristen from SafeLite just pulled up.  In an hour or so, we should have a windshield that we can actually see through in the Honda.  Sure beats driving with a periscope up through the sunroof.  Yes, I'm kidding - the sunroof is gone; Joan put some waterproof fiberboard with a bunch of Gorilla Tape over the giant hole that used to be a sunroof.



Tristen was using tools that look like something you'd use to gut an animal... I did ask him to be careful to not scratch the paint.  ;-)

--------

Joan made breakfast for us while Tristen was working away on the windshield install.  It was interesting watching him work: professional and efficient...

All the tools necessary to do the job right...

I have to admit that I got a bit verklempt as I watched clear, uncracked glass go into that space.  And, instead of blue tape, Tristen used silver tape at the top to hold the windshield in place while the soft rubber sets up...


So, better than "blue tape envy," Joan can have "silver tape pride" for a couple hours.  When you look at the endless dents, it may be hard to imagine, but just having a windshield we can safely see through makes such a difference.  Yes, the car is still beat to a pulp, but it is now safely driveable.  It is sometimes said that most people are "three missed meals away from becoming savage"... it felt the same way with not having a vehicle we could safely drive.

We need to go into town to pick up some groceries, and I'm looking forward to the drive.  Joan already drove it to the Lodge to print out some paperwork for insurance - she said, "What a difference that windshield makes!"

Yep.  It's a start to get back to something approaching normal.

--------

Late afternoon to early evening, the smoke is still hanging around...


I was about to take Rufus for a walk when the phone rang - it's Steph.  I have the leash to Joan so I could sit down and visit with our kid.  I could tell the tone in her voice from the first word... sometimes, you just need to talk.  I worry about my kid; being in education isn't what it used to be.

I caught up with Joan and Rufus...


I took over and walked a while.  Rufus was fascinated with something he's never seen before...


Yes, it's a pile of leaves.  Taking it back to the title of this post.  We would generally be heading back to Texas before the leaves come off the trees... the hail storm hastened that process; the leaves didn't fall, they were beat to the ground.  We don't have trees that lose their leaves at home.  The big furry boy had to check this out.

Back to our site and the 3 of us sat outside until it started getting dark.  It's happening earlier these days.  The discussion turned to "What's next?"  Joan and I are both feeling like we're ready for a change.  Not because of the hail storm.  We'll see.



5 comments:

Earl49 said...

Glad to see some progress on the clean-up and repairs. Your final photo shows the dimpling from the hail (ouch!) which may indeed total out the car. I remember a technique where dry ice can be used to shrink metal skin and can often cause the dimples to pop back out, usually without taking off the paint too. Of course that is for the aluminum skin on airplanes. I have no idea how that might work on the (presumably) steel body panels of your CRV. But an auto body shop would know if it is possible.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - we are still waiting for the insurance adjuster to come out and look at the motorhome and CR-V. I would likely have to spend more in dry ice than the car is worth... yes, that is a joke, but it is badly beaten up. Looking at other cars that aren't as bad that are being towed out of here due to being "totaled" by the insurance company, I know what's ahead. I dread having to buy another car right now, so odds are pretty good we'll settle with the insurance company with us keeping the car. We need a car to get back to Texas, where we can take the time to look around to find what we want... and right now, we don't know what we want. I'd buy another CR-V in a heartbeat, but the newer ones are not towable; this one has been a real champ.

Earl49 said...

We love our 2019 Subaru Forester, but I have no idea whether it is towable. Probably not with full-time AWD. It is a tough time to be looking for new cars or even recent used ones. And ditto for RV’s. Sympathies.... The dimples on a golf ball make it fly further. Maybe now your CRV will get better mpg? (Making lemonade out of lemons mode).

Jeff Collingwood said...

Yesterday my thoughts were if it were me I would keep the car. On my next trip to Mexico, my paint guy can fix the car for about $1,000. He would just Bondo the crap out of the car and repaint. My 2007 Lincoln MKZ has been repainted by him and it is just as good as new. The other thought was, he could leave the dents, and make them like spots on a trout, and have the car painted to look like the fish. Around here in Montana it would be a real hit. Since you like the car (like I like my Lincoln), I'd keep it, it will make a great conversation piece.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Jeff. The initial shock was like a kick in the guts. We are working through it. I think we'll keep the Honda for the near term, while we look for another vehicle. I haven't driven a beat up car since I was a kid.

Conversation piece? Short conversation...

Jeff: "Wow, your car is beat to hell."
Jim: "Yeah, hail."
Jeff: "Too bad."
Jim: "Yeah, let's have an adult beverage."
Jeff: "Sounds good."

;-)