Wednesday, June 8, 2022

A traffic bubble...

 

You mean like a protective bubble around you?  That would be nice, but, no.

Out on the CTX this morning, after my bicycle ride.  It is less windy out, no grit in the air; still hot and humid... which is the forecast for the next 4 months.   Our departure time for heading north is about 10 days out.

Weekdays are pretty quiet right now.  With the higher temps, there will be an influx of people from the Valley, even on weekdays; but, early is good for getting out.  Coming across the causeway, there was no traffic until I got close to the SPI side... and then traffic was bunched up in both lanes.  Seems that most folks come off the causway about 20 mph over the 30 mph speed limit on the island.  At least a dozen cars in both lanes in front of me, moving at about 15 mph.  I was caught in this "bubble."  I turned off the main drag at the first available side street... riding along Gulf Blvd with no traffic.

Of course, I ran past the Whaling Wall, then went into the parking lot to practice slow speed maneuvers.  I surprised myself when heading home: I didn't even look at the gas prices.  I guess I had my head into just enjoying the ride.

On the scooter forum where I participate, one of the posters suggested an app called Scenic.  It is a navigation app designed for motorcyclists: you can pick a destination and ask for different routing, such as "curvy roads."  It will also track your ride...


Not like I can get lost on this "loop."  It may come in handy, however, when riding in new areas.

--------

A fine meal this evening: steak tips on the griddle.  Joan made a tasty marinade for the steak to soak in and made mac and cheese and cheese bread to go with the steak tips.  First I've tried steak tips on the griddle, and I have to say I like that better than grilling steaks.  Faster to make, as well.

While sitting down after cleaning up the griddle, I pulled up Facebook: a memory from 8 years ago.  I don't usually post those memories here, but this was a truly outstanding day...


The link in that image isn't live, so here it is

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-fine-day-for-orcas.html

Reading and remembering that makes me smile.  Another thing that makes me smile: young love.  Well, attempted young love.  While cleaning up the griddle, a golf cart went by with the stereo blaring... driven by a young man.  It went by several times (the definition of cruising).  Not long after, a teenage girl went by in a golf cart with the stereo blaring.  They passed each other at the intersection I can see from our deck.  Neither one even waved.  An opportunity missed.  Shortly after, the girl left that street (after one lap up and down), and (of course) the boy was coming back at the same time.  Same intersection.  No one made any attempt at a wave or a "Hi!"  Yep, definitely a missed opportunity.  Oh well, it's early in the summer season.  ;-)


No comments: