Monday, June 6, 2022

This...

 


 I got out for a ride this morning.  I get that a lot of what I post here revolves around the weather... seems that a lot of the things we enjoy doing are weather-dependent.  As usual, hot, humid, and windy again today.  It was 82º, humid, and wind was blowing 16 out of the south when I rode off before 8:00.  The ride was pleasant enough - no one tried to run into me, and my timing was darn near perfect for hitting what few stop lights I encounter.

But, coming back over the causeway, I knew I was in for a handful: my watch said that the wind was now blowing at 22 mph out of the south.  As I rolled up onto the causeway, I could see whitecaps quickly building on the water... the wind may be sustained at 22, but it was definitely gusting significantly higher.  The CTX handles the wind, but car traffic ahead of me was slowed to about 40 mph as they approached the raised part of the causeway... yep, that is ugly gusty.  You can try to plan for it, but it is always squirrelly around the high part when it is gusting.  No wonder the birds have trouble flying in this area.  Mother Nature gave me a slap to the left, another left, and then a right.  Inertia likes to keep a bike upright, but when you are leaned into the wind, and then an abrupt 180º wind change whacks you, you get some extra grip on the seat as your ass puckers.  I was slowed down to 36 mph, keeping a close watch on my mirrors to make sure no one was coming up behind me fast.  They weren't.

Then, off the causeway, got through the light on the yellow, which gave me the green light on that next light... and no one running the red light.  Yeah, I'd call this a good day.

Well, except I noticed that gas went up about 25¢ per gallon over the weekend.

Back home, Joan had gone to the store early and had donuts waiting for me.  Yep, a good day.

Here's a look at that high part of the causeway...



No comments: