Monday, June 13, 2022

A whole week...

 

Before you head north?  No, but thanks for asking - that is only "4 sleeps" away.  I got out on the motorcycle after the weekend off.  Yes, some would say I'm always a bit off.  Weekend beach traffic gets hectic, so I generally take the day off from riding... safety first.  If by "safety," I mean there are just too many stupid people out there.

Joan said, "Be careful of all the 'heading home Monday morning' traffic," as I headed out the door.  They must have gone home late Sunday night, because it was pretty calm out there.  Even the wind was light (that will change as the day goes on); the water of the Laguna Madre was calm - not many boats out there.  It was a pleasant ride.

So, what's that "whole week" thing?  Thanks for reminding me.  Gas was $4.49 when I rode by a couple stations this morning.  That is a whole week without raising the price.  Oh, don't get me wrong - that isn't a sigh of relief, because those prices are still artificially high, because... they can.  I guess the 25¢ per gallon price increase of last weekend was enough for a while?  Last time gas prices took a fast rise, people quit complaining when the prices came down a bit.  Historically, that's the way it plays out: prices go up, people complain; prices go up even more, people get mad; the economy dumps; gas prices come down a bit (not as much as they went up), and everyone seems OK with it.

It is what is fueling the rapid inflation we are seeing: prices on everything goes up when gas prices rise.  It seems "acceptable."

Off my soapbox now.  I did my rides in reverse order this morning: motorcycle ride first, then a bicycle ride.  Still hot though, with 80º and 88% humidity when I got up.  With the wind yesterday, we saw another round of "Sahara sand" blowing in on us; the forecasts are for more of that all week - it is best to get the outdoor activity in early.

The rest of today will be getting things ready in and around the house.

Speaking of "sleeps," Rufus is getting in one of his many sleeps today...


He's a good boy.  He had a nice walk this morning (before I went out on the bike), and got his usual Momma treat when Joan made our smoothies.  And now... nap time.

--------

The prep stuff has started.  One of the things I do each year when we head out for a while: a home video inventory.  It's a walk through and around the house, inventorying specific items, but also showing that the house interior and exterior is all in good shape.  It always feels a little creepy, like making out a will with specific items.  But, instead of a give-away, this is important in case Mother Nature "takes"... and living in a hurricane zone, you have to keep that in mind.  And wonder, "Did I miss anything important?"

Yes, I put Rufus on the video, but he goes where we go.  :-)

--------

This next part is tougher for me: putting away music gear.  Guitars into cases, waiting to go to their "undisclosed location."  Mics and PA gear unplugged and put up off the floor.  I did stop to take this photo of the two wood acoustic guitars (both Taylors) I enjoy...


 


No comments: