Monday, June 27, 2022

Sturgis: One Month Before the Rally...

 

 

Out on the CTX again today.  The plan: ride Vanocker Canyon.  The "side plan": stop at the motorcycle dealer to make sure they have the belt in - I scheduled a service appointment a month ago, to get the CVT belt replaced on Joan's Xmax.  A good thing I stopped to check - they didn't order the belt, but they assure me that they can get it in time for our service appointment next week.  And that's why we follow up.

With the plan to ride Vanocker Canyon, Nemo Road, Norris Peak Road, and Rimrock Highway, I thought I'd clip the 360 camera on and get a view of what Sturgis looks like one month before the Rally comes to town.

After shooting that video, I figured I'd throw in some "bonus footage" of Vanocker Canyon.  I got surprised when the road surface in the canyon is in the middle of getting a freshly oiled surface... is it slick?  Will it leave an oily mess on the bike?  Hey, I'm here - gonna ride!

Through the canyon, a right turn to the little community of Nemo, and down Nemo Road.  Joan made me a lunch, and I stopped at a picnic area (Steamboat Rock) along Nemo Road.  When I pulled in, there was no one there.  I parked the bike and went to use the potty there.  When I came out, another guy on a bike had pulled in and was sitting at the nearby picnic table in the shade... I grabbed my cooler, walked that way, and said, "You willing to share some shade or if you want this all to yourself, I'll find another table."

He said, "Have a seat."  My new friend Jay.  We talked about motorcycles and good riding roads (all over the country).  It was a pleasant time.  When I was done eating, I wished him "safe riding" and hit the road.  Some of the best riding is right here in the Black Hills, and the roads I was on today were nearly empty.

Here's the video...



 

No comments: