Friday, June 17, 2022

Rolling!

 

I don't know about you, but it seems like getting outta Dodge has been a long-time comin'.

I was up at OH-dark:30 and started my morning routine.  Rufus was a good boy and didn't make any noise, as we tried to let Joan get a bit more sleep.  There is still last minute stuff to pack, and last minute house stuff to deal with.

We were rolling away at 8:20, cargo trailer behind the Equinox, heading for the motorhome.  Out at the storage unit, we dropped the trailer from the SUV and unloaded the remainder of the stuff into the motorhome.  I unplugged power (sure was nice to have the coach cool, as it was already over 80º) and pulled the coach up to the cargo trailer; hitched it up, checked lights... and we're off.

In a surprising twist of Mother Nature kindness: a tailwind...


 Check out the windmills - we are running with the wind!  The drive was uneventful mostly; quite a line at the Border Patrol Checkpoint...


Rufus didn't set off their "sniffer" dog.

The further north we drove, the hotter it got.  Only excitement: a tanker truck right in front of me blew a tire.  I had enough time to put on the turn signal and swerve - first to the shoulder, then back into the lane, dodging the "gators."  I feel for him... it's too freakin' hot to be stuck on the side of the Interstate, waiting for road service.

Rufus spent most of the drive today on my lap...

"Hey, buddy, how are you doing?" I asked.

"Dad, I'm really tired - you got us up way too early this morning!"


But, as always, he is a good boy.

We covered the miles we wanted to make today.  Traffic picked up big time as we got close to San Antonio.  We'll be down for a couple nights here to finish sanitizing the water tank and lines and catch our breath... the last few days have been a whirlwind.

The only thing we know we forgot: Rufus's harness and leash; we'll be getting him a set for the motorhome tomorrow morning.  Damn hot as I set up the utilities.  I checked the cargo trailer: bikes and gear are riding fine.  Now, I just want to sit in the air conditioning and re-hydrate.  I was nearly giddy as we rolled away from the house this morning - not that there is anything wrong with the house or the Tropical Tip... I have visions of riding the scoots dancing in my head!  :-)

Home sweet home for a couple nights...




No comments: