Wednesday, February 22, 2023

I don't think I'll take the bike today...

 

I'm heading to Mark's again today - there will be six of us.  Since it will be 5 guitars and 1 bass, I will probably spend some time playing the cajon.  There will be one guy there that I haven't met before... these guys are all volunteers at MIM, so they already have a bond... I'm the "sit-in" player/singer in this group.

On Monday when Mark and I got together, I took the CTX.  It isn't what I'd call "fun riding," since it is Interstate almost all the way (except for that last mile into Mark's neighborhood), but I just enjoy being out on the bike.  I won't be taking it today, though: the weather absolute crap.

The weasels were predicting strong winds to blow in overnight, and that ramped up about 2:30 am.  We were ready for it, having pulled the slides in (making for a skinny coach) and put away most of our patio stuff (laid down the stuff we didn't put away).  How windy?  Thanks for asking.  Gusts above 50 mph reported at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.  The forecast is calling for "windy, dusty, and rain."  Sounds like blowing mud to me.  The high today here won't get out of the 50s.  Temperatures drop quickly as you gain elevation north of Phoenix.

Snow is falling in the higher elevations all around the state; white out conditions in Flagstaff due to heavy snow and winds.  I-40 (which runs across northern Arizona) is closed from the New Mexico border west for over 200 miles.  Roads around the Grand Canyon are closed.

So, how are you doing in the motorhome?  Again, thanks for asking.  We hear the wind, and sometimes feel it when the coach "shudders" in the strong gusts.  Joan opened the door briefly this morning, just to check on the patio stuff - the wind nearly pulled the door out of her hands, and she was ready for it.  Wind here is out of the west southwest, so it is blowing right at the rear and side of the motorhome.  Tonight's low here will be in the 30s.

We've been here for just over 3 weeks now, and haven't been able to get in a bicycle ride - just too cold in the mornings, and we've had other stuff going later in the day.  Joan has been out on her scoot twice; I've done more than that, because I've taken the CTX to Mark's when weather permits.  We have run heat every single night since we've been here.  We've enjoyed the rare nice day... keyword there being "rare."

Yes, this is a big winter storm that will be tracking across the northern tier of the country as it moves east and north from here.  Batten down the hatches (that's boat talk).

————

A nice surprise when I got to Mark’s place today: the last two items I had for sale sold.  That was the Epiphone SG electric guitar and the Yamaha 12-channel mixer.  Less for us to cart back home.  Mark did a great job getting the items listed and dealing with prospective buyers.  “So, what are you going to get to fill those empty gear slots at home?” you ask?  Thanks for asking.  All of that was gear that wasn’t being used - just taking up space.  I’m not in any hurry to get anything else.

For the record, it was all good stuff; mostly duplicate of other things I have.  The two guitars each came from a dealer that turned out to be a jerk; while the guitars were good, I didn’t need the reminder of the “jerkiness after the sale.”  The amp was one of 4 that I have, and others that I bought since that one are better.  Both of the multi-channel mixers were something I had high hopes for, but turned out to lack important features for me; a nice Bose T4 Mixer replaced those two and does all I want for live sound and recording, with better features.  Some of that you don’t know until you put them into use.

It was fun making music with Mark and 4 of his friends today.  We took turns (mostly) picking songs to play.  I did set up a small PA and mic today, so I wouldn’t have to push so hard singing, over the top of 5 guitars and a bass.  We all have different tastes, so it was a variety of music.

No comments: