Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Morgan...

 

It's our young neighbor's name.  And by young: I'm guessing he is about 3 years old.  While we have not been formally introduced, we know his name because we constantly hear:

"Morgan, NO!"

"Morgan, put that down!"

"Morgan, stop screaming!  Morgan, shut UP!

"Morgan, stop throwing gravel!  I mean it!  Stop!"

We know when Morgan is awake, because we hear him stomping from one end of the travel trailer to the other.  Over and over.  Morgan seems to have plenty of energy.  And by that, I mean he makes the Energizer Bunny look like a slacker.

The RV sites are quite close together here.  The window at our dinette is about 4 feet from the side of their trailer... much closer where their slide out sticks over the top of our shared water connection.  Yesterday, when I raised the shade on our dinette window, I was treated to Morgan energetically licking the inside of their window.  Licking doesn't do justice to what he was doing... he was full-on French kissing that window.  I'm surprised I didn't hear: "Morgan, stop licking the window!"  I'm guessing the parents were still asleep.

Morgan has no shortage of toys to keep him busy.  There is a table with a toy car parking garage on it.  Two bicycles: one with pedals, the other is a Strider.  A kid size table and chairs.  And that's just what I can see from our window.

You're thinking: "Jim, you're just being a grumpy old guy."  No, I am grateful that we didn't raise a Morgan.  I can't even say, "Get off my lawn, ya damn kid!" because, first of all, it is all gravel here (no lawn) (so Morgan has plenty of throwing material), and the kid hasn't wandered onto our site.  Yet.

Don't get me wrong.  I like kids.  Well, some kids.  Well, I'm sure there are a few good ones out there.  No doubt grandparents will come out of the woodwork to tell me how great their grandkids are.  They, obviously, don't have a Morgan.  We don't have one, either, but we sure get the effects of the neighbors having one.  Even Rufus looks up and me, saying, "I don't get what people see in having a kid."  The furry boy has a point.

--------

Out and about this afternoon.  I wanted to check out a nice guitar shop in Tempe, Joan was interested in checking out some kitchen stuff (like pans).  We got both what we wanted.

At Acoustic Vibes, I looked at a McPherson Touring...



Yes, it is carbon fiber.  No, I am not hot to buy it.  But, if both other guitars I have for sale go away... no, it is close in size to my delightful Emerald X7... even smaller scale length... sounds good.

From there, it was on to...


If you said, "IKEA," you get 5 bonus points.  This was a good stop because it has been too cold in the mornings since we got here to ride my bicycle... you get in PLENTY of steps as you work your way through "the maze"... seriously, they should give you a piece of cheese when you make it through there.

It is rare that I am looking for anything from this place, but I find the doo-dads interesting.  And, I especially like the names of all their merchandise.  Like: Skanka... I mean, who doesn't want to bring home a Skanka??  I did find this...


I thought it might be a good tool to bring back to the motorhome and give to Morgan's parents; but, no, it was just a silverware holder.  Maybe they could still smack him with it?  Yes, I know that isn't the way people parent these days.  It seemed to keep me in line when I was a kid.

 

Unlike my visit at the guitar shop, Joan did not leave empty-handed.  What?  No... no Skanka.  From there it was onto Texas Roadhouse (right next door to IKEA).

Traffic was thick coming back from the east side of the Valley to our RV park on the west side.  It took a bit over an hour to go 34 miles.  When traffic wasn't at a stand-still, I was able to do 70mph... it doesn't balance out.

Rufus was ready to go for a walk, after he had supper.  I was already wore out from walking the equivalence of a marathon while going through IKEA.  But, the boy needs to get out there and see his adoring public.  ;-)




4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Acoustic Vibes is a great shop, very fun for any acoustic guitar geek, but I have missed getting there the last few trips to the PHX area (other priorities). And I've never been inside an Ikea store. The nearest ones are in SLC and Portland, and when on the road to/through those places I usually have to make tracks, not dawdle in retail.

Glad that Rufus got his walkies in [drink]. It is important to keep his adoring fans satisfied.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. Yeah, I enjoyed my short time at Acoustic Vibes. And my LONG time at IKEA. If you go into an IKEA, be sure you are wearing comfortable walking shoes. It is theoretical that you could walk into one and go directly to the item you want... in theory. In real life, you wind through the place like being in a corn maze... only instead of looking at more corn, everywhere you look is another clever storage item with a goofy name that is made of lightweight plastic or really heavy pressed wood. They have entire 400 square foot "apartment" layouts, so you can see the compact living room, dining room with a fold-out table and chairs, kitchen (complete with appliances), bathroom with stacking shelves, and your bedroom with the bed lofted above your desk for conducting business from home. I find the place fascinating in a whimsical way. We tried a "short cut" that led to a dead end... they are diabolical in the way they guide you through the place. While I sat to wait for Joan to look at different frying pans, I was people watching... there seemed to be an unusually high percentage of pregnant women walking through there... shopping therapy or "something in the air" to make sure there are continuing generations of IKEA shoppers?

Rufus said to tell you, "Hi!" He's a good boy. (drink)

BiloxiBeau said...

Is Morgan's family name Dumas by any chance? I have know some Dumas' with similar behaving children.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi BB - LOL I didn't get their last name. Truly, the parents don't seem like... Dumases. They just have a kid who doesn't listen and seems to have amazing energy and stamina. Sometimes I am worn out by all the stomping we hear - I can't imagine what it is like in their travel trailer. I'm guessing they will think long and hard before having another kid. ;-)

RVing has changed since Covid, with way more families living full time in RVs. RV parks used to be quiet in the winter - not lightly occupied, but mostly retired folks.

And in all fairness, a lot of the volume here is traffic going in and out of the RV park (we are close to the entrance), and there seems to be a real affinity here for loud exhausts and stereos, as they go by. Except for Hurricane Morgan, our block seems reasonably quiet.