Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Sleepless in Buckeye...

 

Not even close to Seattle.  Not a low budget version of that movie.  After the hail last night, I laid awake most of the night... wondering if I had it in me to deal with insurance companies and repairs again.  A quick look around in the dark (right after the storm) assured me that there weren't major dents and broken windshields.

Just after sunrise, I did a walk around in the cold air (41º); looking close, I saw no dents or broken glass.  I opened the trailer and didn't seen any evidence of water intrusion.  Joan was still in bed, so I didn't get up on the roof or drop the tailgate to the trailer to get a better look in there.

Opening the blinds when she got up, Joan said the neighbor's (across the street) had blown over and collapsed.

I'll get up on the roof when it warms up a bit; open the tailgate and move the bikes so we can check all the corners in the trailer; start up the coach and check all the lights in back (the direction of the hail).  Then, we can all breathe easier.

And, I'm going to need a nap.

--------

Up on the roof...

If you said, "Written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, the song was done by The Drifters, 1962," you get 25 bonus points.  If you said, "You looked over the top of the motorhome?  How's it look?" you get my thanks for your concern.  The fins on the air conditioner are bent down on the section of that unit that faces west...


Every place you see something that looks "shiny" between those openings is damage to the fins.  I didn't see any other evidence of damage on top of the coach.  I won't be turning that in for insurance, but I will get an "a/c comb" and straighten them out myself.

All in all, with the amount and duration of the hail, we got off pretty easy.  If it had been any larger... well, I don't even want to think about it.

I moved my bike out of the trailer so I could examine the floor in every area, each corner and the V-nose - no evidence of water intrusion; seems that the repair I did to the roof of that is holding.

So, we can move on... and hope Mother Nature is kinder to us.  As I was coming down from the roof, a couple walking by asked if I was looking for damage - they used to own an insurance company in Sundance, Wyoming, about 30 miles from where we used to live in Spearfish.  They told me, "In 20 years of spending winters here, this is the first time we've seen hail."  Lucky me.  We visited further, and had several "small world moments."  When she found out that we had owned James Photography, she said, "You did my senior portraits!"  I didn't ask her age, but I'm thinking she may be off on that by a year or 12.  ;-)  We did know some of the same people.  He asked if I knew about "the best place in town for Mexican food..." which led to a discussion of Taco John's... and the three of us agreed that it isn't what most people think of as Mexican food, but it sure is good!  They asked if we were members at Hart Ranch, and then the discussion of that terrible hail storm 2 years ago.  Yep, small world.


No comments: