Sunday, February 12, 2023

The Big Game...

 


 

Watching sports on TV isn't my thing.  I know stating that publicly puts my Man Card in jeopardy.  Don't get me wrong, we have enjoyed taking in baseball, football, and basketball games while we're here in the Valley of the Sun.  And, we will get together with Steph and Dan to watch the Superbowl today... Dan is an avid Packers fan, but, alas, they aren't in it.  I have no doubt he will enjoy watching the game today.  I enjoy the commercials, and we'll all partake in the food that Joan and Steph will be making.

But, I am over the hype.  Being here in the Phoenix area, it has been non-stop Superbowl hype on every local channel.  No, they don't all get to carry the game, but everyone of them have had reporters at the many "pre-game venues" in various cities around the Valley.  I don't need to see another reporter interviewing a Chiefs or Eagles fan to ask "Which city has the best food?"... or hear another cliche' about "looking like Christmas with all the red and green apparel,"... or listing outrageous prices for seats at the stadium or hotel rooms.  It has been going non-stop for the past week.

I won't miss the added traffic or every restaurant having a waiting list.  We have taken alternative routing to avoid the Loop 101 near the State Farm Stadium (where the big game will happen).

At lunch yesterday, while making the food plans for the game, the question of "Which team will you be cheering for?" came up.  No rabid fans either way at our table... but, with our mid-western routes, it seemed like the Kansas City Chiefs were the tepid choice for all of us... not much rivalry happening for us today.

There will be a bit of "a production" for us, though: Rufus is coming with us to Steph and Dan's house today, so he doesn't have to spend so much time alone.  Really, the boy likes our company.  Steph's cats will get their bedroom suite, Rufus will get the rest of the house.  I have no doubt he will share that space comfortably around their guide-dog-in-training Blaine, but it will be best to keep the felines separated.  With the RV park where we are staying being further away from their place than years past, it isn't a 5 minute jaunt to run back to feed and walk our furry boy.

So, we have huddled and we all know our parts for this play.  And tomorrow, when workers are dismantling all the huge tents and stages surrounding the stadium, and people are boarding business jets and commercial airlines (Monday is being anticipated as the busiest day ever at Phoenix SkyHarbor Airport), and all the hoopla is over, maybe this area will get back to normal... which is still plenty crowded and abundant traffic.

Who's ready for Professional Baseball Spring Training ("the Cactus League") to get underway??  Meh.

;-)


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

I too have no dog in this fight, but will root mildly for the Chiefs given their mid-western heritage. I am a Packers fan too, having grown up in Michigan (the Lions *always* suck). We will probably DVR the game -- I first wrote "tape" but you already know I'm an old guy. Some commercials can be interesting or amusing, but the halftime show almost never is. As someone who has been a stagehand at festivals and other major events, the rapid set up and tear down would be far more interesting to me than most of the shows, and most of the game. I wish they would show that.

About five years ago Alice dragged me to the mall shoe shopping and got many thousands of "wife points" as I missed the first quarter. I needed a walk anyway and the mall is not icy inside. The mall was a ghost town during the game, so no crowds. And like all of the *Splendid Bowls* I can never remember who played a month later.

Glad that you sold the Taylor. I was a little tempted, but 1) I truly don't need any new guitars while some still should be sold off, and 2) it would be the wood version of my Lucky 13, therefore redundant. A 522 twelve fret was the single nicest Taylor guitar that I have ever encountered after owning a dozen and test driving hundreds. That was in my LGS about 4-5 years ago, but I was able to resist.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - The most interesting thing about the half-time show was the "floating platforms" although the dancers were totally in sync (impressively so). The game turned out to be good. In the last two minutes, Dan called it exactly the way it would happen.

"Tape" the game? Oh, I remember my Grandpa telling me about people taping something off the TV... LOL... ah, the good ol' days.

The 522ce 12-fret was a nice guitar; not one bit of remorse to have it go away. Bad ju-ju. That makes my selection of guitars "ted-free." ;-)

Earl49 said...

Getting rid of bad juju is a good thing. I clearly remember the relief felt when I finally sold my custom shop Martin J-40 that had been nothing but trouble almost from Day One.

I sorta watched the first half while practicing, then we left for massages. After getting back home later, I watched the last four minutes and the exciting finish, and later still watched the half time show from the DVR. There was generous use of the 8X forward button there. I did not recognize any of her songs, but I am *not* the target demographic these days. Still it was ~20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Yawn....

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Can't say I'm familiar with Rhiana's music... she probably wouldn't know much about mine, either. LOL

I enjoyed the game. Both teams played well. Not a lot of penalties. It was a good watch. Not enough so that I'd pay more for a ticket than I paid for our first house. ;-)