Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Early morning outing...

 

I have music with Mark and the guys today, so I got out around 7:00 am for a ride.  Other than the school/work commuters on the surface streets along the way, it is a great time to be out; cool and crisp.  By the time I got to the mountain, I had the roads pretty much to myself (other than a few people out on bicycles)...


 Some pretty morning views from the mountain...


I had on my motorcycle jacket with the thermal liner; it was 59º when I left the house.  The bike was looking good...



A couple birds, a rabbit, and a ground squirrel darted across the road in front of me at different times - never a close call for them.  I got to have two sunrises this morning: once from home, then another while riding up the mountain.  And, another fun bonus: Breakfast With The Beatles (on Sirius, Beatles Channel) - haven't heard that in a while since we are two time zones different from Texas.

I considered taking one of the bikes to Mark's, but I have a bit too much gear to tote along.

--------

Music with the guys today - a good time.  Glad I didn't take one of the bikes: it was 88º when I was heading home.  Tom will be heading back to Iowa next week, so this will be our last get-together with him.  Seems like everyone has stuff going on in the near term, so I don't know when we'll get together to make music again.  It has been a good season.  I expect there will be some "sub-group" of us getting together.



1 comment:

Earl49 said...

Early morning rides will probably be the standard until November. I'm glad that you and Mark and the guys got together. I was supposed to miss my Thursday bluegrass jam this week because they needed me to appear as an expert at a County Commission hearing. But right after sending out the email to my playing friends, the client called to say that my written report would be enough -- for now. I'm fine with that, so I get to jam Thursday as normal.

On a slightly sad note, we have not seen *Blackie the Feral Cat* around the back porch in about a month now. We don't expect to see him again. I put away the outdoor water bowl and the table that gave rain/snow shelter for his food bowls last evening after mowing. The life of a feral cat is pretty rough, but we did what we could for him. He had a steady daytime food supply and shelter in the shop (a cat flap for free access). Neither of us ever got closer than five feet of him. He was too skittish, but he clearly appreciated the food and water, and our kind words. I'm sure he got through the last two winters only with our help. We are down from "2½ cats" to only two now.