Friday, April 5, 2024

You'll Never Walk Alone...

 

If you said, " 'You'll Never Walk Alone' is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel," you get 30 bonus points.  If you said, "It has been covered by Frank Sinatra, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Elvis, and others," you get an additional 10 bonus points.

If you asked, "Is this post going to have anything to do with 'walking alone'," you get no bonus points, but you are on the mark.  There isn't a song for "you'll never go to the bathroom alone."

It has been said, "If you get a cat, you'll never go to the bathroom alone."  Each of our cats has been different about this, but it is mostly true in some fashion.  Smoke would wander in.  Molly was mostly indifferent about anyone making a trip to the bathroom.  Izzy took it as a play opportunity, extending her leg and paw under the door.  Rufus "stood guard" at the bathroom door: his back to the bathroom, he was going to make sure you were not attacked while doing your business in there.  And it worked - not one reported attack while taking care of our bathroom business while Rufus was on duty.  Murphy, on the other hand, would allow anyone in to kill you... but he likes to be in there, mostly asking questions, "What are you doing?  Why don't you use a box like I do?" and trying to get his tail in the pee stream when I am standing at the toilet.  TMI?  I'm happy to announce that, to date, I have managed to dodge around his flicking tail.  No, that is not a typo - I meant "flicking."

On the walking side, I did take Murph for a walk this morning.  He doesn't ask so many questions when we're out walking.

When Murphy jumps up on the counter (not allowed, but he does it anyway) more than once, Joan puts him in "time out."  That would be: in our bedroom.  I told her, "You know he is rubbing his ass on your pillow."  (He probably isn't.)  I haven't used the "time out" technique until this morning... after telling him 4 times "No! Get down!"  It was more of a whisper, because Joan was still in bed.  I picked Murph up and put him in the bedroom.  And quietly closed the door.

Apparently, putting a cat in time out in the same room where someone is sleeping isn't a good thing.  I was told this by a half-asleep Blonde who came shuffling out of the aforementioned bedroom.

I'm guessing I will be in "time out."

"Murphy, are you pulling that placemat off the counter?"

 

"Me?  No, I wouldn't do something like that."

I am told he will grow out of this kitten stage.  Probably some time in the next 5 or 6 years.  Probably. 




No comments: